» Site Navigation
» Home
»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Forum Search
» Insurance
California Bass Fishing Forum

California Bass Fishing Forum (https://www.calbassin.com/forum/index.php)
-   Northern California (https://www.calbassin.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   WONBASS matches USAC and more (https://www.calbassin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10696)

flipit 12-07-2010 10:24 PM

Re: WONBASS matches USAC and more

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Ricci
I could not agree with u more..fUN,FUN, FUN, great post. BY the I had NO intention of starting a fued. I was just stating WonBas stepped up to the plate.

I know ya didnt, and ty. Thumbs Up

poorboy 12-08-2010 12:16 AM

i could be wrong, but is this not one of the reasons why we have less and less participation because everyone wants to have the "better" circuit? i get that the competition to have the best keeps our sport heading in the right direction, but... if people are on the fence on which one to fish, it is inevitable you will lose one to the other.

i've said it before, someone should come up with a super circuit and combine all the top tournaments into one. kind of like the nfl. there is the afc and the nfc. there are 4 different regions in each conference. and then we have play offs and a super bowl! it could work. a lot like the cbc but with points, money and tophies for places, A.O.Y.,etc. Smilflag6

really, i don't know. i'll just have to fish the circuits that has the schedule that suits my needs. f.y.i., USAC pro-am and CBC solo for me.

WON Bassin 12-08-2010 02:04 AM

Flipit,

You hit the nail on the head. Our job is to promote you our angler, promote our sponsors, and provide an entertaining event, that provides every angler the opportunity to enter and compete on a level playing field. I wish it were all about the events, as the politics are overwhelming at times. The fact is that our industry is based on perception, investment and time away from family and friends, to compete in a sport we all cherish. Our payback percentage was actually higher than AC's, as we paid out deeper with the same format. The difference was AC placed $3000 dollars more than us at the top two spots, which would be perceived by the anglers who only compete to win, as not as attractive. Now of course every angler competes to win, but there exists a level of pro's that plain and simple enter where they see the odds in their favor, and so should they. Every anglers fishes for their own reasons. It is an investment in time and money. There are only a select few that can do this sport, without having to hold down the normal 9-5 work week. We talked to anglers and asked the anglers who supported us, to give us their opinions as to why turnouts are as low as they are for all of the circuits, and how they felt we could improve on it. Entry fee's where just one of the answers they came up with. Most suggestions where based on structure, information, and the FUN factor. Well, WON Bass and our great supporting sponsors are here to prove it to you, and let the writing on the wall speak for itself. Every 2011 event will be followed up with a event summary in our Won Bass paper, highlighting the top 5 finishers on both the Pro and AAA side. Promoting our anglers, and their accomplishments in our publication and website, is just one of the ways we show how we care about our anglers. The introduction of a matched payout, only makes it easier to see, with your own eyes, where we all end up at the end of the season.

Looking forward to a great season, and seeing you all at Shasta in January. Deadline for sign-ups is 12-31-10. See www.wonbass.com for our discounted membership packages for 2011, which include membership advantage products from Trokar Hooks, Canjon Plastics, and Brilliant Lenses. Paperless membership is $20 with 12 issues of WON Bass online, or the normal $45 full 52 issue subscription membership. Click on our Pro/AAA Tournament Schedule page for entry forms and further information.

bassman10.66 12-08-2010 02:58 AM

I think this drama is great for the anglers . It's making every org. work harder to get the anglers to the lake. More money and prizes. Like from Jerry McGuire (Show Me The Money)!!!!
That said I don't think using the words ,( Possible) and (Rumor has it) are a good choice for WON to use . I do remember that I started fishing their circuit a few years back and they did not tell the anglers about not having a boat for the TOC . It does look like they are moving in the right direction.
I'm fishing Anglers Choice and CBC this year . But I will be watching WON and if they follow through with the rumors I will come back and fish . I do think WON has a great mag and I hope they bounce back.

e_epperson 12-08-2010 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WON Bassin
Flipit,

Every 2011 event will be followed up with a event summary in our Won Bass paper, highlighting the top 5 finishers on both the Pro and AAA side.

You just won me over right there. No pun intended. clap

JIGS 12-08-2010 07:44 AM

Well, back in the days, WON was tops, as was WestCoast Bass. I'm glad to see them trying to go forward. a little more fine tuning and we could have some great Pro-Ams again ! It's all good. It is not like they are running for governor, no mud slinging needed, just give the anglers what they want and they will come ! ;D Smilflag6

flipit 12-08-2010 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WON Bassin
Flipit,

You hit the nail on the head. Our job is to promote you our angler, promote our sponsors, and provide an entertaining event, that provides every angler the opportunity to enter and compete on a level playing field. I wish it were all about the events, as the politics are overwhelming at times. The fact is that our industry is based on perception, investment and time away from family and friends, to compete in a sport we all cherish. Our payback percentage was actually higher than AC's, as we paid out deeper with the same format. The difference was AC placed $3000 dollars more than us at the top two spots, which would be perceived by the anglers who only compete to win, as not as attractive. Now of course every angler competes to win, but there exists a level of pro's that plain and simple enter where they see the odds in their favor, and so should they. Every anglers fishes for their own reasons. It is an investment in time and money. There are only a select few that can do this sport, without having to hold down the normal 9-5 work week. We talked to anglers and asked the anglers who supported us, to give us their opinions as to why turnouts are as low as they are for all of the circuits, and how they felt we could improve on it. Entry fee's where just one of the answers they came up with. Most suggestions where based on structure, information, and the FUN factor. Well, WON Bass and our great supporting sponsors are here to prove it to you, and let the writing on the wall speak for itself. Every 2011 event will be followed up with a event summary in our Won Bass paper, highlighting the top 5 finishers on both the Pro and AAA side. Promoting our anglers, and their accomplishments in our publication and website, is just one of the ways we show how we care about our anglers. The introduction of a matched payout, only makes it easier to see, with your own eyes, where we all end up at the end of the season.

Looking forward to a great season, and seeing you all at Shasta in January. Deadline for sign-ups is 12-31-10. See www.wonbass.com for our discounted membership packages for 2011, which include membership advantage products from Trokar Hooks, Canjon Plastics, and Brilliant Lenses. Paperless membership is $20 with 12 issues of WON Bass online, or the normal $45 full 52 issue subscription membership. Click on our Pro/AAA Tournament Schedule page for entry forms and further information.

Thanks Bill(I assume this is from Mr Egan?)
I do believe WON is on the right track. I also believe AC is also. Both have room for improvement, as do most business's. Look at FLW for example, the issues with the Ams that fished the circuit then couldnt get in to the final event. One thing that I think is often over looked is the MC of the event. It should be fun and exciting, and the MC really can control that. How do you make a angler that had a not so good day forget that. The derby is a show, and a presentation. There are usually non fishing spectators on hand as well. Its just a suggestion. Someone with personality and that is funny(its not me I assure you), and I dont know if you have that or not.

I know payouts are important, and only time will tell what structure is best. Perhaps why the economy is in the tank a deeper payout is better, and maybe the anglers just want it stacked at the top. Only way to really find out is get on the phone and call each angler and ask(the pro's). Hopefully the economy improves and all the orgs can get enough support to pay back more. However until that happens you need to have enough revenue to survive and pay the bills.

Ive always thought that the mud slinging or comparing is not needed. If there is politics involved it should be kept behind the scenes. Its fishing, not politics. Perhaps IM in the minority(wouldnt be the first) but I dont like drama. You can put on a great show and give the anglers what they need without the public drama. Im self employed and its always been a policy to not compare or talk down about my competitors. Bottom line is if I do a good job, and treat my customers right I will succeed. That said Im very interested in WON and right now it would be my choice. My sponsors are important to me as is promoting them, and I think WON is doing a bit more for the angler in that aspect. The other aspect of a circuit that I really enjoy is a championship, a qualifying championship. I feel its important to give the anglers something to fish the season for, and over the past years that seems to have disappeared.

I could go on, guess that has to do with the fact that I wanna see things get back to the bigger fields. I still think the economy is the over all driving factor behind that. Keep up the good work and your effort will pay off for all of us.

Thanks
Sean

Bill Hutcheson 12-08-2010 12:51 PM

Chris,

With all due respect, you started the drama.

To quote your previous post, WonBass listened to the anglers and this is what they wanted.

So basically what you are saying is that the anglers wanted what USAC is offering and WON BASS can only innovate by imitating?

I am not P.O.'d that the best WON BASS can do is hope to match what we are doing. Frankly, I welcome it as everyone out there knows with all else being equal, USAC will outshine WON BASS as we have the most organized, most experienced staff manning our Pro-Am events. From the feedback I have heard from other anglers, you will have no worries about fouled up partner pairings, meetings that do not start on time, funky scales, Poor fish handling, Long lines at the scales, purportedly intoxicated M.C.'s, awards ceremonies that run late, and results and paybacks that never get posted on the web. USAC does it right and we do it right time after time.

By the way, how will we know that the WON BASS paybacks are as good as USAC when you never post them for the world to see?

Chris - how is WON BASS going to handle the comped and discounted entries they gave last year to boost thier numbers - are they going to pay this out of thier own pockets or make the anlgers pay? You know about comped entries Chris don't you?

RickyBobby - you stated in this thread, 'USAC drew 17 (yes s-e-v-e-n-t-e-e-n) boats at their last pro-am. I wouldn't go patting yourselves on the back just yet guys".

True and we are not happy about it at all But we don't go on the web and pontificate for a whole season about how we listen are going to make it better - we just do it!. What is funny though is that if our low turnout is an issue, this is what WON BASS immeidatley switches to and is hoping to duplicate by copying our program?

Congratulations to WON BASS for "listening" to thier anglers. It appears though that USAC has been listening all along.

Greg Cornish 12-08-2010 01:05 PM

Bails 12-08-2010 01:39 PM

17 boats Bill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 17 Boats. Brick Brick Brick All they did is maytch your payback, which you stole from NBW. Why didnt the people at NBW come on and get their panties in a uproar when you stole your open book policy from them. .......probably because they are alll old enough to know that its not necessary. Keep up the bashing of WON BASS. 17 boats is the proof we need that your slowly running this one into the ground as you did with WON then left! ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO