» Site Navigation
» Home
»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Forum Search
» Insurance
California Bass Fishing Forum

California Bass Fishing Forum (https://www.calbassin.com/forum/index.php)
-   Northern California (https://www.calbassin.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Does anyone know??????? (https://www.calbassin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1206)

revrat 01-29-2009 11:29 AM

Does anyone know???????

As I sit here with the phone against my ear for going on 40 minutes waiting on a Lowrance service person to get on the phone and see if I can get an answer on why my unit won't take a simple software update, I ask the following question:

Do any of you know how to force the unit to recognize a SD card? Supposedly when you load the new software to the SD card, it will update automatically. My unit(LMS-480m) does not even recognize the SD card is even installed. Have any of you run into a problem like this, and if you did was it something you could fix yourself, or did the unit have to go back to Lowrance?

I've got the updates loaded to my card, my card is properly formatted, and my unit seems to be functioning fine otherwise, and I've tried a soft reset already. I don't want to do a hard reset and lose my waypoints for all my Clear Lake piles and ledges though. The stupid unit just does not want to recognize the card. Any knowledgable Lowrance guys out there?

obermeister 01-29-2009 12:51 PM

Re: Does anyone know???????

What size SD card are you using? Awhile back someone said the larger size (2G) cards don't work.

cesar l 01-29-2009 02:00 PM

my lms 480 does the same thing...I have to turn the graph on then take the card out and put it in while its on and it will read it.

Greg Cornish 01-29-2009 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obermeister
Awhile back someone said the larger size (2G) cards don't work.

Very possible, because the bigger in GB they are the faster they are and the less compatible with older electronics.

Al Bundy 01-29-2009 07:50 PM

Travis,
does your unit have 2 slots for the card? If so try the other slot. My X15MT has two slots and one of mine doesn't read the card so I had to use the other one. Hope this helps out.

Joe

revrat 01-29-2009 08:33 PM

So I talked to Lowrance before I headed off to the lake this morning, and they told me that my SD card was the wrong brand. They recommended me using a Sandisk card rather than the Kingston card I already own. That seemed fishy to me, as SD cards are passive storage devices, and are built and formatted the same way regardless of what name the sticker has on them. Most of them come off the same line in the same plant in China. Any how, I went out and got a brand new Sandisk card, and guess what? My GD unit won't read it. So the next peice of advice was to do a hard reset, which kills my waypoints, and I can't save them anywhere because the MFing thing won't recognize when a SD card is installed. So I went ahead and did the hard reset.....goodby waypoints. Guess what....the SOB won't read my card still. So now I can hope they will issue a RMA for it and take it in for however long they feel like sitting on it for the low, low fee of $199 plus shipping, or I can just keep the gay base map that is built in, and sit on the $150 map chip that I bought since they can't be returned once opened.

I'm irritated.

492slayer 01-30-2009 12:50 AM

Rev... my suggestion is to call Lowrance and speak with a supervisor, not the person who takes you call. Move up the chain of command until you get the satisfaction you want. Somebody needs to make this right for you. You are also correct about the SD Card. A computer doesn't know the difference between brand A, B or C... it only reads the data that is formatted to the card. Customer service needs to make it right. If all else fails, contact the president of the company, explain the technologists failure to give you accurate support, and ask them to make it right. (Maybe they'll even kick in a new LCX-27 or something... Yeah I'm dreamin') Shark

Robert F 01-30-2009 12:59 AM

Are you sure the file is properly loaded on the card? Put the card back in your reader and post what it says is on it. After you download the file you have to open the file.

tobe 01-30-2009 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revrat

I'm irritated.

Sorry to se you going through this Travis but this is the norm with Slowrance for the past couple years.
They are digging a hole with anglers they won't be able to climb out of.
The next thing ya know they’ll be showing only Won fish on their screens!

Greg Cornish 01-30-2009 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert F
Are you sure the file is properly loaded on the card? Put the card back in your reader and post what it says is on it. After you download the file you have to open the file.

Seems like Lowrance cust service could tell him that. This is good stuff to know when buying a fish finder.