» Site Navigation
» Home
»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Forum Search
» Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2011, 06:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Future Pro fish mortality

As usual, Vince had his usual outrageous weigh-in. Tim Little the Lake Game Warden was there and stopped counting dead fish when the count reached 100. This was Sunday, no telling how many died Saturday. He was trying to needle deep caught fish but couldn't keep up. Why did this happen?? No release boat which would have cost a little bit, minimum staffing to save money. And really not giving a **** about the fish in the first place which is not unusual for his tournaments. It is the Tournament Directors charge to ensure proper care is given to the catch and making sure the fishermen are handling the fish properly. Some fishermen even dumped their fish at the dock which caused a couple of them to be cited by the Game Warden. Next time you go to your favorite spot on the Lake and nothing is there, shout Vince's name and give him the famous salute he deserves.
coyote268 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2011, 07:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Future Pro fish mortality

I for one after witnessing this will NEVER fish one of Vinces tournaments AGAIN!! I understand on one hand that is us as tournament anglers to be held responsible for the welfare of our fish (rejuvenate, ice, proper aeration) especially during the summer months, but not once did I hear vince pre tournament stressing the fact that the fish needed to be taken care of! I was truly embarrassed coming into weigh in!

Chad
chad leblanc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2011, 07:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Coyote,
This was a very unfortunate situation, but I think it is outragous to put this all on a TD. Why not blame the anglers. They are who should be taking care of their fish. Vince does not know how deep each angler caught each fish. No one held my hand when I started fishing. I went out and bought a needle and researched how to take care of the fish I caught. Clear Lake is my home lake and yes it was disturbing to see what happened.
I for one never blame a TD for that situation. I will always blame an angler. Did none of these anglers look in their live well all day to see the fish belly up? Did they not notice the fish floating when they put them back in the lake? If they did why did they not scoop them up and pop them? Jimmy at clearlake bait and tackle sold 66 bags of ice on saturday and 0 on Sunday. This is very disturbing to me as well. I also only saw 1 angler that had water that had been colored by an additive (rejuvinate).
As for the release boat, they called him Saturday morning and said they couldn't make it because they felt the gak would plug up there pumps. Vince had reserved the release boat. As for staff he had 7 people working the weigh in. I was the one weighing the fish. I have no connection with FPT I do the weigh-ins as part of my Ranger Boat sponsorship.
Vince will take the brunt of this from fish and game. The other said part is if Vince doesn't come back it is going to hurt a lot of the local businesses. Just my $.02
www.dobynsrods.com
www.monsterfishingtackle.com
www.jigmonster.com
Roger Saraiba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2011, 07:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

All I can say is wow.......It is sad to hear things like this when we as bass fisherman as a whole are dedicated to conservation of our fish to sustain the populations and do our absolute best to take proper care of our fish when boated.....As a FUTURE pro stressed circuit fish care should be at the top of the list and at least some instructions given at pre tourney meeting especially a summer tourney!I Have attended several pro-am and pro team tourneys at Clear lake and even during the winter and spring months those orgs announced the proper way and distance to release fish and the importance of fish care. If fish and game was there and witnessed this I am sure some sort of penalty will be imposed hopefully it doesnt affect ALL the orgs and anglers as it is pretty common to have a couple of dead fish a hundred or more is just plain sickining.

At the same time Future pro or not most of those guys have been fishing enough to know that heat management and proper care of fish is essential, Yes the T.D. SHOULD have made it clear at pre tournament meeting and during blastoff but at some point the anglers themselves should be responsible enough to minimize the mortality of their fish.I am betting this one incident spawns some new rules and enforcement on that lake if not statewide!
scott h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2011, 07:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Chad,
Does someone have to really tell you to take care of your fish! When you go fishing it should be the first thing on your mind. I do believe that Vince needs to have a seminar on proper handeling of fish as well as how to present your fish to the scales. I am going to talk to Vince about trying to hook up a deal where during the seminars there will be needles (free or fee I don't know). Also it would be great to have sample packs of rejuvenate at this seminar.
What shocks me is everyone I thought would know to pop their fish with some of the deeper lakes they have already fished. I had multiple anglers tell me "I didn't think I needed to pop my fish out of 20 feet." I explained to them that the fish could be coming up to feed and come out of 30 or 40 feet. I also told them to check on their fish throughout the day.
www.dobynsrods.com
www.jigmonster.com
Old 08-16-2011, 07:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Future pro did the same thing here at my home lake Folsom last year. Kinda looks like a pattern to me. Who do you blame? I counted over 100 fish dead on the bank the following days. When you see 25 guys in line with fish in bags resting on sun baked asphalt, or lipped big fish being walked to the dock 200 yards away, what do you expect? This subject has been brought up before. It's the TD's responsibility to make sure this doesn't happen, but it always happens.
brambo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2011, 08:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
pks

That's horrible!
I'm not sure whose fault it is. That surface is just so nasty on Clear Lake right now, tournaments probably shouldn't be held. We lost a tourney two weeks ago because of a .20 oz penalty of a dead fish that was gut hooked the first 10 minutes of the tourney. Whose fault is that? Either mine or the bass for eating it, depends on who you are.

100 fish is a lot, and releasing them into the water that has the least amount of oxygen does not help.
Without a release boat, maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to run them to the mouth of Cache since therein is a little more oxygen and some moving water over there.
Sounds like some of it was ignorance and some was bad planning. I'm sure some was just bad plain bad luck. I've had tournies this time of year where I've spent over half my morning working on the fish, it's stressful and not always an easy thing to keep em all alive.
It wouldn't bug me to require a certain amount of ice per boat that enters but it would be a pain in the butt to enforce. If one org seems to be killing more fish than another, a seminar would certainly help, but most guys that are ignorant to the issue will continue to be no matter what.
pks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2011, 08:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

Pks well said. Fish do die sometimes. I think a seminar would help and I will volunteer to do it. I will bet about ten people show up. I talked to the warden that day and he said about 30 fish but I guess coyote has more recent numbers than me. The one thing I don't like is the rookie excuse. If you are going to fish you need to know how to take care of them period. Maybe there needs to be a certificate required before you can fish. I wish I had the answer.
www.dobynsrods.com
www.jigmonster.com
Old 08-16-2011, 08:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

Some good articles on the subject, maybe print and hand out to guys at ???meetings or mail them if your are an Org??
I have been trying to stress this importance for years, and have had a lot of oposition. Oposition says if you do not know what to do, then do nothing, as you may do more harm than good, let the director take care of it after you weigh your stressed-partially alive, fish.

http://www.bradwiegmann.com/fish-bio...er-months.html

http://www.bassresource.com/fish_bio...mmer_bass.html

http://www.bassdozer.com/articles/ma...ng_alive.shtml

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2...r_helping.html

http://lonestarbass.com/fish-care/wh...to-a-livewell/
Old 08-16-2011, 08:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

I launched outta redbud today and there were several dead bass floating on the ramp. A few nice ones. I didn't know what had happened. Wish I could post a pic via iPhone. It'd pissed off some people for sure. What a waste....
bsapp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the California Bass Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in