Towing your boat. Was Boat Carpet Cleaning Question??? Long!! - California Bass Fishing Forum
» Site Navigation
» Home
»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Forum Search
» Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2011, 02:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to b2customrods
Default Towing your boat. Was Boat Carpet Cleaning Question??? Long!!

Didnt want to keep hijacking the other thread on Boat Cleaning so I started a new thread on towing.

Coming home from the Hook Tourney my tranny started slipping in OD while driving through the hills on Vasco Rd. I have a Yukon XL 1500 with the 5.3L and 4L60E automagic tranny and 3.73 gears. I saw the tranny temp hit 200 and was still climbing. The yukons dont normally come with a tranny temp gauge but with my 2001 you can swap out the gauge cluster and replace it with the Escalade one that has a tranny temp gauge. I wanted that for when I was towing my race car.

This is the second tranny for this thing even though I have the heavy duty trailering package the tranny still gets plenty warm on the hot days. I grenaded the planetary gears the first time and now it slips OD and gets hella hot.

Went to GM dealer as the second tranny should be under warranty. I have only had it for like 30K miles and about 2 years and was replaced by GM for 3000.00 **** dollars. They had no record in there computer system and I cant find the **** reciept anywhere so they want 3500.00 for a gm rebuilt unit. Well that aint gona happen as that is what I had done the first time it failed.

Took to my budy Grant at Grant and Dans in Fremont. The guy can build a tranny. He was one of my sponsors when I was drag racing and he built me a 2 speed powerglide tranny for my pro street car. Never had any problems with that tranny even with getting slammed with 1500hp when the light went green.

Grants gona build it up with a bunch of better parts so it will hold up to towing and for only 2300.00.

So now ill have a much better transmission but I know the next thing will be the motor with 150K. When that happens I will probably dump the truck and never buy another GM truck/SUV again.

Been doing some research and will probably go with a diesel. The issue is I dont need a **** 3/4 ton pickup that toes 16K lbs. I also dont like the ride in a pickup. It rides like a pickup. The diesels only come on the HD trucks like 2500HD or the F250's and heavier. They also use a huge diesel in them and in my opinion is just plain over kill for pulling a bass boat that including the trailer weighs less than 5K lbs.

My other bitch is that why do all the dealers seem to think that all diesel pickups need to have 4WD? Why do I need a 4WD my Yukon is 2 wheel. Look up on craigs list under diesel and you will see 99% of all those trucks are 4X4. Look on the dealer lots and most are 4X4. I dont need it and besides it adds weight and robs power and gas mileage even when your not using it.

Why cant I get another Yukon XL 1500 with a smaller diesel. It would be perfect for towing your boat. The **** motor and tranny would last at least 500K miles. I have driving a big rig with over 1 million miles on it. I drove a Volvo tractor with 400hp and 1700 ft/lbs that rode like a car. Air ride seats with air ride cab and air ride suspension man that was a sweet truck. Goes to show you that you can build a truck that doesnt ride like one.

I dont know what im going to do for a tow vehicle. I know I dont want gas as you get poor gas milage going up in motor size like a 6.0L and you still get a garbage tranny from GM. I would want a diesel because they have the torque to pull my boat without breaking a sweat. The issue with the diesel is you can only get them in a 3/4 ton pickup or larger. I dont need a pickup I dont like the ride of a pickup. I need another Yukon XL or Suburban type vehiclethat has a small diesel that has 500-700 ft/lbs of torque. I saw that GM and Ford were looking into a small diesel for the 1/2 ton trucks that was in the 4L to small 5L size. This would be perfect!

What do you all think on the subject? What are you pulling with? Are you happy with your rig that you use for towing your boat? What would you replace it with?

[B][size=10pt]Police protection is an oxymoron. Free citizens must protect themselves. Police do not protect you from crime, they usually just investigate the crime after it happens and then call someone in to clean up the m
b2customrods is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2011, 03:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Towing your boat. Was Boat Carpet Cleaning Question??? Long!!

I have a 2007 duramax 4x4 and love it.I had a 2005 z71 with transmission problems also at 40,000 miles.I have 80,000 on my duramax no problems yet,my gas mileage is 15 in the city and up to 18 on the freeway as long as im under 70 mph..Guys are saying good stuff about those tundras.My truck is overkill I agree but i'll never overwork it,my z71 gas mileage sucked.Good luck..
Old 09-21-2011, 04:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

that 4L60E tranny should only be used in low power cars. It should have never made it into any full size pickup, SUV, or high powered car like the Camaro or Corvette. The 4L80E should have been the tranny for those vehicles. Yes it would drive the cost up a small amount but in the long run you would save money by not paying for tranny repairs.

Now GM, Ford, Dodge, even Toyota have been talking about a 1/2 ton diesel since 2008 but still nothing and with the drop in sales of trucks it may not even come about.

If Toyota comes out with there Tundra with a 4.5L diesel like the Australian diesel engine used there than I may have to go Toyota as much as that would kill me going non USA.

[B][size=10pt]Police protection is an oxymoron. Free citizens must protect themselves. Police do not protect you from crime, they usually just investigate the crime after it happens and then call someone in to clean up the m
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2011, 04:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Boy, I just don't know Bill. Both my sons have diesels, one Dodge with Cummins, the other with Chevy, both tow 19 ft Bass boats and say they get 18/20 MPG plus they ride nice also. So if I personally could afford a newer truck, I would go Dodge or Chevy 3/4 ton diesel. Just my opinion. Almost bought one a week ago but holy crap it was a 08 and they wanted 32K for it............

Jigs
Old 09-21-2011, 05:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
tcs

B2 I have a 02 f250 short bed with the powerstroke, I think that was the last year for that engine. Its a 4x4 with a manual trans.. It has 35" tires on it and still gets 16-17 mpg. The truck has been great is an understatemet, not a single problem yet and she has a 160,000 on her. I thought I would only use the 4x4 for deer and duck hunting and I was wrong. I have driven to several tournys in the snow and turning the switch to 4 high is awesome, no worries. Your right it is overkill for a bass boat, I dont even know mines there but the power is nice who knows you may need it. Plus being in a big heavy vehicle adds to the peace of mind. I bought mine 5 years ago with 50k for just under 20.
tcs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2011, 05:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yeah 4 wheel high is nice for snow especially if you dont have experience driving the white stuff. For me its still overkill as I have many many miles in the white stuff seeing how i lived in Spokane for a few years and also while driving a 80K lb. rig and was trained on a skid pad at the San Bernadino Sheriffs skid training facility to drive on ice with a 18 wheeler. Besides the last time I was in snow was 3 years ago taking my Golden Retrievers up to the snow and even then the road was dry.

The gas mileage for a 1/2 ton diesel would be much better than the 3/4 and with only 2 wheel drive would be a perfect boat towing rig. Now make that a Suburban or Tahoe and now you got the killer rig.

I guess I might end up with either a GMC 2500HD extra cab short bed or a Ford F250 either in 4X2. I priced both as well as the Chevy version and at like 38K-43K its a little out of my league right now.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Greg Cornish

Towed my 4000 lb pontoon with a lot of wind resistance over 4000 miles last year over the Rockies, through Yellowstone, Badlands, Black hills and back without a hitch with my 08 Sprinter. They are a 3.0 6 cylinder diesel. It never overheated and never slipped. Great for security as they are enclosed and tinted windows. I can stop with my pontoon on a 30 degree hill and start without a problem. 5 speed transmission. Cargo vans or light duty 3/4 or 1 ton and assembled in South Carolina.

Greg Cornish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2011, 12:05 AM   #8 (permalink)

No offense Greg but those vans to me are just butt ugly. They look so top heavy and besides that I would never own a van. Large SUV or Pickup for me.

I can see why you got one though. If I was wheelchair dependent I would have to go with either what you got or a van.

I looked into a conversion for my Yukon but **** I could save a bunch of cash by just buying a used 2500HD 4X2

Now if GM would produce the 4.5L Diesel they were working on for there 1500 series trucks and SUV's man I would be all over that!!!!

Regardless for me to buy another GM vehicle it would have to be a diesel! I refuse to buy anymore GM gas powered vehicles. I have had it with them putting in cheaper components to save money only to have customers have to constantly repair the crap there putting out. You dont put a cheap 4L60E tranny behind a 325hp stock Z28 Camaro and dont get me going about the Corvette. I cant imagin the issues one would have with a 1/2 ton 4X4 if they drove it and used like a truck instead of some street queen.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Greg Cornish

My van is a chick magnet. I can't keep them away. And stay away from, those trannies. People will start to wonder about you.

Greg Cornish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2011, 01:11 AM   #10 (permalink)

ah no your van is one of the ugliest vans ever produced. I wouldnt drive anything that Kate + 8 drives LOL!!

Lets get the tranny issue setled. There are trannies then there are Tranny's. The later is mounted behind a engine. Trannies get mounted from behind and usually are attracted to people driving vans

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the California Bass Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in