» Site Navigation
» Home
»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Forum Search
» Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2011, 06:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Alabama or umbrella rig.

So I got the lead pot on. Trying to figure out what size head I should pour for the main head, how many arms, and what weight on the heads. I think heavier for the ones that ride on the bottom. I'm going to incorporate some chatter bait blades on it to. Looks like I can fit 5 wires in a poison tail jig mold without milling anything out. Any ideas? I also have revenge head molds I made but I only have them in 1/8, 3/16, and 1/4. Any thoughts from guys that throw the thing would help.
brambo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2011, 11:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Alabama or umbrella rig.

Hey brambo I'm sending you a pm
Hardcore Bass Fishing
bassman10.66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2011, 07:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

Brambo; Do you have a wire bender? My only suggestion is to get one, you will know why when you get into it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2011, 09:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

Threw one with three 3/8 oz heads and plastic main head with two teasers. 4 hours yesterday To heavy!! My back is killing me!!! Its **** to get old!! Next time im rigging it lighter, all of our good fish came in 8 ft or less we had a 6.3 and a 6.6 and lost one bigger at the boat. Its going to be learning curve with these.If we would have caught everyone that hit we would have had 20 fish. Its amazing how many we had follow it in 48 degree water.
Dave
(707) 262-5852
clearlakeoutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2011, 09:58 AM   #5 (permalink)

Isn't 3/8 oz. heads the lightest they recommend? I read somewhere that says to use 3/8 oz. for shallow and heavier for deep/bottom and they were throwing 5 baits with heads. Just asking.

Markarian Investigations @ (209) 777-9696
USAF (Retired)
Merced PD (Retired)
C & C Marine
Cali Skum
Stage Stop Gun Shop (Atwater & Mariposa)
Fatty's Worms
Ranger Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2011, 10:23 AM   #6 (permalink)

I assume it is all up to what is comfortable to you. I do know they all range from almost no weight to about 2 oz in weight for a bare rig.
It seems a good weight to use would be around 1/2 oz. Figure this; a 1/2 oz rig tipped with say (3) 1/4 oz heads on the back would weight 1 1/4 oz. A 1/2 oz rig, tipped with (3) 1/8 oz heads on the back would be 7/8 oz. Now add the weight of the baits you might want to use. If grubs, you will be throwing about an oz lure all day on 1/8 heads. or about 1 1/2 oz bait all day using 1/4 oz heads on the back. Then comes heavier weight of swimbaits on the back. Also I have discovered a light or no weight rig will not get your baits down to the fish it seems. A rig that weighs in bare at say 1/2 oz, will start the sinking process and then you can hold your rod up or down to reach the depth you desire.
So far for me, all the testing I have done, and at my age, my comfort zone has been effective at a 1/2 oz rig, using 1/8 dart heads on the back and grubs for trailers baits. But then that is my comfort zone for this rig, using a three wire rig. But then I can not throw a 8" Hud all day either. It just wears me out.
I hope this helps in some way.
Oh and one more item and it may not apply. Don't try to make your rigs out of titanium wire, although it is good for spinnerbaits because it has flex and sprinyness and vibration. Once it is bent out to form your rigs, it will loose its strength and eventually break; I suggest staying with stainless steel wire for durablity, vibration and strength.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks. I got 3 different wire benders. I have 1000's of swimbait heads already made up. I got enough wire to pour a few in 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 3/4, and 1 ounce. I will see how it goes.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Brambo I have played with it a bunch I have a way to set them up that I like the best.. I have played with it a bunch I will come over and we will see if we can get any followers in the pool.....
Old 12-16-2011, 09:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

First ones are done and swim amazing. It even falls level. Not bad for my first batch. Thanks for the help guys. These ones are small with 6" lighter wires going into a 1/4 revenge type head. I used 2 willow leaf blades up top and 3 small swimbaits on 1/8 ounce revenge type heads. Anyway it throws on a 734 just fine, no need for the giant rod.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

Brambo - what gauge wire are you using

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the California Bass Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in