» Site Navigation
» Home
»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Forum Search
» Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
bmx

Send a message via AIM to bmx
Default Tires for towing

I got a new truck. 2010 Chevy 1500 crew cab. I am beefing up the tires a lil. Been looking at a few different models. Not gonna say which ones just to get your guys own opinions. I am going with a 285 70 17 which is almost 33"x11.50. Does anybody tow their boats with a P rated 4 ply tire? how does it perform/last? I don't need mudders. ALL terrain. Lots of highway use.
Thanks!!
www.NorCalRampRats.com
bmx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2012, 10:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Tires for towing

Hey Mike,

I've been towing non-stop everything from boats to loaded car trailers, tons of sand etc for the past 8 years with F150 Crew Cabs running the exact size you're looking at. I ran Bridgestone Revos & Goodyear Pro-Grade Wranglers in that 17" size, and on my current 2010 King Ranch I just put a new set of Michelin LTX M/S 2s on yesterday. I've never had a problem towing anything mentioned with any of those tires and none of them are E load range back busters. The Revos gripped great but didn't wear the best. The Goodyears rode & handled amazingly, wore better than the Revos, but were a major pain to keep balanced. Since I drive a ton of freeway & ~25K miles/year I got the Michelins which are warranted for 70,000 miles & have a less aggressive tread. So far they ride & handle excellent, and the tight jagged siping will be terrific for wet traction & slick launch ramps. If I get even 50-60K miles out of them they'll be the best tires I've had yet overall.

Sorry for the long winded answer, but hope that helps man.

Chriss
NitroSport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2012, 12:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
bmx

Send a message via AIM to bmx

Thanks
www.NorCalRampRats.com
bmx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2012, 01:25 AM   #4 (permalink)

I don't know If you can still do this but my buddies and I would go to hummer dealerships an get the take-off factory tires from the h2's which were 285/70/17 bfg all terrains from the hummers that they put upgraded rims/tires on...we would get them for $400/set and they were basically brand new. Great tires.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

I'm running the ltx 2s, they are great. Real good in the rain.

H2 takes offs are bigger, 315s, closer to 35". Way worse fuel mileage, shorter tread life and noisier.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:21 AM   #6 (permalink)

BMX. When I bought my truck in 2005 a chevy Z71 4x4 with posi rear end the first set of tires lasted maybe 20K, Chevrolet replaced them at no cost with another set that lasted maybe another 20K. I then went to sears and put on a set of 10 ply Dunlop tires. Now at 60K miles later they are still running good and no issues. I tow a boat (sometimes), and a 22 ft camp trailer with no problem. They ride and handle good. I intend to put a new set on the truck sometime this year again. The only issue is everytime I go get an oil change, they back off the air pressure to 40lbs in the tires. I run 60 lbs air pressure in these 10 ply and that seems to run best. I hope this helps. But milage is still at 15 to 18 MPG depending how and where you drive.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

Use the tire selection tool at TireRack to help decide. I wouldn't buy tires online, but their tools and reviews really help narrow your search.

I have Bridgestone Duler A/Ts on my tow rig and love them. Quiet, good ride, and have 40K+ on them with lots of meat left. They are not inexpensive thou compared to some other options.

Would definitely suggest you keep up on rotations and alignments with any tire you end up buying. Makes a huge difference on treadwear and prevents cupping, common pickups with less weight on the rear drive wheels.
anglingwes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2012, 05:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by obermeister
I'm running the ltx 2s, they are great. Real good in the rain.

H2 takes offs are bigger, 315s, closer to 35". Way worse fuel mileage, shorter tread life and noisier.
That's right they are 315s my bad
Old 01-18-2012, 07:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroSport
Hey Mike,

I've been towing non-stop everything from boats to loaded car trailers, tons of sand etc for the past 8 years with F150 Crew Cabs running the exact size you're looking at. I ran Bridgestone Revos & Goodyear Pro-Grade Wranglers in that 17" size, and on my current 2010 King Ranch I just put a new set of Michelin LTX M/S 2s on yesterday. I've never had a problem towing anything mentioned with any of those tires and none of them are E load range back busters. The Revos gripped great but didn't wear the best. The Goodyears rode & handled amazingly, wore better than the Revos, but were a major pain to keep balanced. Since I drive a ton of freeway & ~25K miles/year I got the Michelins which are warranted for 70,000 miles & have a less aggressive tread. So far they ride & handle excellent, and the tight jagged siping will be terrific for wet traction & slick launch ramps. If I get even 50-60K miles out of them they'll be the best tires I've had yet overall.

Sorry for the long winded answer, but hope that helps man.

Chriss
ive got the michelins ltx's pullin a triton 21x2 and a truck camper 50,000 so far and u cant see where the tread is gone..when needed same going back on..
kujomon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2012, 08:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

Great to hear kujomon! That's what I'm hopin for with these things. I'm loving how they ride & handle so far & if I get that kind of wear that's all I'll be sticking with from now on.
NitroSport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the California Bass Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in