Alabama Rig: yay or nay? - Page 7 - California Bass Fishing Forum
» Site Navigation
» Home
»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Forum Search
» Insurance
View Poll Results: Should Alabama Rigs be banned in tournaments?
Yes 53 46.90%
No 50 44.25%
It should be banned completely from all of fishing 10 8.85%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2012, 01:16 PM   #61 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Greg Cornish
Default Re: Alabama Rig: yay or nay?

I would endorse this for tournaments or any C & R use but would be skeptical for use with the general public. If its as good as stated I could see the bucket grabbers using it to get several limits easier than they do now.

As I said, "skeptical" of it's use to the general public, not outlaw it.

Greg Cornish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2012, 02:09 PM   #62 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish whistle
a local fish and game at clearlake stated he stoped 5 people throwing the rig and 4 out of the 5 had 5 hooks
Hopefully he wrote some tickets.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:01 PM   #63 (permalink)

Quote:
watch the you tube video "Alabama rig supernova" they are flipin fish in the boat hooked in the face, back, and ******* all at once........ and a local fish and game at clearlake stated he stoped 5 people throwing the rig and 4 out of the 5 had 5 hooks
Loved this video thank you!!! Fish being hooked in the head back or where ever is nothing new if you throw cranks or rips this will happen too.
texas john is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2012, 05:39 PM   #64 (permalink)

hooking fish is mean!!! if you think its wrong, go hug a tree and stop fishing.

seriously? how did this sport get so soft
Solar Bat Sunglasses www.solarbat.com
HCBF www.hcbass.com
Lew's www.lews.com
poorboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2012, 06:10 PM   #65 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorboy
hooking fish is mean!!! if you think its wrong, go hug a tree and stop fishing.

seriously? how did this sport get so soft
If fish could scream, there'd be a lot less fishermen.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:24 PM   #66 (permalink)

im not sayin that fish are not foul hooked many other ways but i have fished the rig and have never foul hooked this many fish........
fish whistle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2012, 08:51 PM   #67 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
im not sayin that fish are not foul hooked many other ways but i have fished the rig and have never foul hooked this many fish........
Sharpen yer hooks

Old 01-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #68 (permalink)

From a tournament perspective I believe the Alabama rig should be banned. Don't get me wrong I like the rig and its ability to put fish in the boat and the positive effects it has had in the fishing community. However, the rig flat out catches fish whether you're good or not and for that reason I think it should be banned from tournament fishing. Bass cannot help themselves when the rig is presented at or around them and I believe it goes without say that tournament results have reflected that. It's unlike anything they've ever seen or heard before and I believe for that reason Bass will come from the depths to investigate. You might say the same thing happened with Swimbaits so what does that matter..... but they didn't have 2 to 4 brothers and sisters swimming side by side. Does anyone really think it takes any level of skill to chuck and wind this bait? Professional anglers who make a living fishing didn't get to where they are by chuckin a rig comprised of 3 or 5 separate lures on a single rig in a single cast. They got there by methodically casting single, individual lures to specific targets in attempt to entice a single fish.....and they do it over and over. Some argue that you still have to be able to locate the fish. Of course that is the case and will continue to be the case no matter what type of lures we throw. ....but the real question is why are we able to throw a rig that could potentially catch a limit of fish in a single cast? Seriously!!?? But you can't honestly believe that a fish will chose to eat a single bait over the Alabama Rig. One major reason as to why a Bass would attack the Alabama rig over a single lure is simply greater opportunity to fill their bellies. For inactive bass the rig has superior potential to entice a strike. I believe those who typically have a tougher time of locating and catching quality fish with a single lure would suddenly have better opportunity to put quality fish in the boat. Kevin Vandam has a knack for locating and catching bigger fish than most of his competitors using a single lure and he does it with a lot of regularity. He does it with precision casts and years of experience. It takes years to obtain the skills that Kevin Vandam has and I don't believe it is fair to throw oranges in the mix when it's always been apples. If you put an Alabama rig on every Elite anglers rod for every event to use in his arsenal I can guarantee you'll see a completely different lineup than we're use to seeing come championship week and that's why I don't think the rig should be used in tournaments. I can't say any of this is fact but it is my belief!

“If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles” ~ Doug Larson
BassinBerge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2012, 01:28 PM   #69 (permalink)

all this "the bait is to easy" needs to stop. its a technique like anything else. you dont catch a fish every cast.you cant just throw it everywhere.
all because its been knockin them dead at CL? ban a dd 22 crankbait in the fall then too. ban the trash fish.
everyone was so up in arms over the quagga mussel junk....saying there were no studies or time given to determine impact. thats exactly what going on here.
Jason33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2012, 01:29 PM   #70 (permalink)
Banned

Then it should be good for your sport, with everyone thinking they now have a shot. Should solve the pros problem of no-one showing up for the Pro tournaments because there are better fisherman included.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the California Bass Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in