Alabama Rig: yay or nay? - California Bass Fishing Forum
» Site Navigation
» Home
»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Forum Search
» Insurance
View Poll Results: Should Alabama Rigs be banned in tournaments?
Yes 53 46.90%
No 50 44.25%
It should be banned completely from all of fishing 10 8.85%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2012, 02:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Alabama Rig: yay or nay?

Let's hear what the board has to say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2012, 02:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Alabama Rig: yay or nay?

Oops my I pad selected it wrong. I say find something better to cry about. I use It
brambo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2012, 03:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

I find this question so interesting now that everyone has the bug.

We were not going to get into this race, but after hundreds of calls, you have to think that maybe just maybe this will be enough to ignite new sales in the tackle stores.

WoW! has it taken off. This has not only sparked a wave in designs but has really brought on a whole new way to promote all the great plastics. The manufacturers of soft plastics has really gotten new life in the sales of their really slow moving items.

I hope this drives up the active fishermen to get out on the water and give it a try. It will surely help out the tackle stores. Your local tackle store need our help, with the slowing economy.
http://www.dmcustombaits.com/
[email protected]
Maddoglures is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2012, 03:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

I read a post on another board comparing it to the rules banning certain equipment in golf, or aluminum bats in baseball that are hard to regulate and provide unfair advantages. I think that is should be restricted from professional competition, but am totally OK with new technologies and innovations for recreational use.
anglingwes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2012, 05:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddoglures
I find this question so interesting now that everyone has the bug.

We were not going to get into this race, but after hundreds of calls, you have to think that maybe just maybe this will be enough to ignite new sales in the tackle stores.

WoW! has it taken off. This has not only sparked a wave in designs but has really brought on a whole new way to promote all the great plastics. The manufacturers of soft plastics has really gotten new life in the sales of their really slow moving items.

I hope this drives up the active fishermen to get out on the water and give it a try. It will surely help out the tackle stores. Your local tackle store need our help, with the slowing economy.
I believe Dale's got it right on this one.

Honestly, I am not pro or con on the A-rig I just see it as another tool for anglers to mimick forage more effectively. Whether it is a craze or not I don't really care. If it works for someone good for them, and the bait manufacture who made it.

With that said, I haven't given the A-rig enough time to really learn how to effectively use it (I've only been on the water once in the last 45 days), but I can definitely see where it has its advantages (i.e. when smaller bait is schooled up relatively shallow), but I don't think it is the end all. It is just another tool.

I see it as effective tournament bait, when fished in the right areas where bass have pushed bait, more than anything. IMHO chucking and winding the A-rig takes more energy than throwing a hudd, a magnum or a BA due to the resistance/drag in the water. I wonder if the people complaining about the A-rig are the same people who complain about larger swimbaits +4oz, who either can't physically throw them or don't have the rod/reel to do so.
I don't care what anyone says, to effectively throw this rig all day (the way I have it set up), without fatigue a flipping stick ain't gonna cut it. I tried to get away with throwing it on a 795 MT. The way I have my A-rig set up ,the the 795 MT was not enough rod in my opinion. I believe you need an 8ft medium power or above swimbait rod to greatly reduce the potential for fatigue.
As for fowl hooking...how many fish eat a top water baits where the fish is clearly not hooked in the mouth??? Especially on punkers and wake baits???

Case in point, Clear lake fish flat out eat baits weird. I dunno how many fish I have caught on hudds or wake baits that I have caught that were clearly not hooked in the mouth but in some days it has been 50/50 on inside the mouth or outside.
I really don't get all the negativity towards the bait. There are many situations where the A-rig is not going to work very well (i.e. heavy weeds/vegitation, skinny water, flat calm days, heavy cover/flipping bite, fished deep +50ft [bait will pengelum back towards boat if not fished correctly],tight spots/target casting, topwater bite, etc.).

Will I use it regularly? Probably not. However, situationally I see the A-rig having a great niche (i.e. fall/winter), but if fish aren't schooled up I don't see this bait being any more effective than a spinnerbait. To each his own.

Days on the Water -  30 something
(Year goals achieved) 
2011 Best 5 Fish Count                 
Big fish 1- 11.5lbs
Big fish 2- 8lbs 14oz   
Big fish 3- 7.5lbs
Big fish 4- 7lbs 4oz                                 
Big fish 5- 7lbs 2oz
Total: 42lbs 4oz
phishenfool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2012, 05:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

this rig is just another manipulation of the rules and the newest fad. keep the sport a challenge.
if you feel you need it to catch fish, might be time to look into another sport remember it's called fishing, not catching
Old 01-18-2012, 06:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Greg Cornish

When you add an option after people vote it destroys the poll.

Greg Cornish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2012, 06:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

In my opinion (sometimes ignorant), I believe in a fair playing field. If its legal, and everyone gets to use it, it should be allowed. If you dont want to use it, dont use it. Where it gets grey for me is the bait takes away alot of the "skill" involved. I have used it, Ive seen many use it and of course the web. Its more of throwing it as far as you can and pray as opposed to casting a crankbait in the 3" space between 2 logs or pitching a jig in the space under a dock. Especially at the end of the day people (including myself) are heaving hail mary's thus reduces the skill and it now becomes luck.
troypride is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2012, 07:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by backseatk
this rig is just another manipulation of the rules and the newest fad. keep the sport a challenge.
if you feel you need it to catch fish, might be time to look into another sport remember it's called fishing, not catching
that's how cut and dry you are??? Sounds pretty narrow minded and hate filled. Someone must have lost a derby to this thing.

Good grief

This bait is nothing new people...the umbrella rigs been used for ages. Sure maybe not a "casting" verson but its been used plenty. Some great big bait guys troll them legally in fun fish to catch giants...no harm there.

Whats the next thing we are going to bitch and whine about??? Oh no..that pro-staff guy has some prototype baits and he's got and unfair advantage. This bait is open in public for ALL to use and buy. But nobody on here ever complains that the latest "PROTOTYPE" bait is illegal and shouldn't be used.

This bait has its DFG rules...follow them and you are fine...adn guess what??? Its legal for ANYONE to use.

15.25# Lake Casitas 2001
14.25# Lake Casitas 2009
13.50# Lake Casitas 2003
13.50# Lake Casitas 2005
12.50# Lake Piru 2003
elfish16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2012, 07:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfish16
Quote:
Originally Posted by backseatk
that's how cut and dry you are??? Sounds pretty narrow minded and hate filled. Someone must have lost a derby to this thing.

Good grief

This bait is nothing new people...the umbrella rigs been used for ages. Sure maybe not a "casting" verson but its been used plenty. Some great big bait guys troll them legally in fun fish to catch giants...no harm there.

Whats the next thing we are going to B!#%H and whine about??? Oh no..that pro-staff guy has some prototype baits and he's got and unfair advantage. This bait is open in public for ALL to use and buy. But nobody on here ever complains that the latest "PROTOTYPE" bait is illegal and shouldn't be used.

This bait has its DFG rules...follow them and you are fine...adn guess what??? Its legal for ANYONE to use.
troypride is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the California Bass Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in