» Site Navigation
» Home
»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Forum Search
» Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2009, 11:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2000 Optimax

Hi all, I have heard that the optimax from 99 - 02 to stay away from. Is this true? I'm thinking about one thats a 00 200hp. The seller is asking about 4k for it. Would this be worth looking at? or should I not waste my time?
adamsj13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2009, 12:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: 2000 Optimax

I have an 01 opti but it only has about 275 hours on it. i have not had 1 problem knock on wood. It has been a great motor.
www.dobynsrods.com
www.monsterfishingtackle.com
www.jigmonster.com
Roger Saraiba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2009, 12:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

I do not own a 99-02 Opti, but when I was looking for a boat last year I was hearing the same advice. The reasons I heard 2nd hand of course was that they had problems with the Reeds and Fuel Rails / injection system. So If they had replaced those two items which was a warranty item they were usually good to go? I am reporting what I had heard though, you should give Mike or Drew a call down at Boatmasters. They are Board sponsers and two super nice guys who have done all the work on my stuff and always have gone above and beyond.

Give them a call they will answer all your motor questions, any brand.

http://www.boatmasters2.com/
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2009, 06:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have a 2000 Ranger with a 150 Optimax I bought a couple years ago. I have used it a lot since I have bought it. No idea on the hours. It runs like a brand new motor. I wouldn't worry about it. Great motor. I just make sure sure to change gear oil every year and water pump every couple.
homer77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2009, 07:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12lblargemouth
I do not own a 99-02 Opti, but when I was looking for a boat last year I was hearing the same advice. The reasons I heard 2nd hand of course was that they had problems with the Reeds and Fuel Rails / injection system.

Give them a call they will answer all your motor questions, any brand.

http://www.boatmasters2.com/
+1 My Merc tech said the same thing. I have a 01' 225 with 425 hours runs like a top. Knock on wood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-27-2009, 07:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have an 01 225 with around 400 hours on it. There was a recall within the first few months I owed the boat (March 01). They replaced the fuel rails, thermostats and the computer. I did have some minor gliches after that was done. One was a temp sensor with a bad wire on it that would send faulty signals to the computer and put me in the protect mode. Figuring that out was a nightmare cause it wouldn't fail in the shop, only at the lake. Getting Mercury to pay for a tech at the lake was not fun.
There was also a programming flaw in the new computer. It took awhile on that one as well. The rep from Merc and his laptop had to fix that, but they were able to reprogram me to 2003 specs. and I gained 200 rpm.
Then there were all the oil return lines that were painted during the manufacturing process. Every hose that got paint on it got brittle and cracked at the ends and began leaking. Stuff was over $6 a foot, and that was 4 years ago. It took me 18 feet and a few hours to get that fixed.
The float in my on the block oil tank stopped floating and caused faulty signals to the computer and put me in the protect mode.
Other than that it's been solid.
Well I just lost the lower unit. That could be to the upper seal that leaked about four years ago and I ran more water in the gears than I did oil for around 4 months. I'm glad I change the oil every 6 months than the year that's recommended. The upper seal was modified (bolted down) so that won't happen again. I guess the Pro XS comes with that mode, but not the Opti?

Other than that it's solid. I've heard worse from others brand "X"

I'm not in anyway bashing Mercs, just relying my experience.

If I'm ever finalcially stable again, I would buy another !
MT BUCKET is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the California Bass Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in