» Site Navigation
» Home
»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Forum Search
» Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2009, 08:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default First Delta trip

This fall I am planning my first Delta trip...I have basically just fished the deeper clearer reservoirs my who life and I have been really wanting to fish something different...I have a few questions on locations and tackle I was hoping y'all could help me with..

Area... I was looking at google earth and the areas of Big break and little franks tract caught my attention..looks like I may be able to launch at big break marina?

Arsenal...

I am a finesse fisherman but it looks like I need to leave the 1/8 oz dartheads and 4 lb test at home...

I was thinking that a good selection of jigs, some shallow cranks and maybe a few spinnerbaits would likely find me some fish.....I dont really know how to flip/pitch so this should be a challenge

Do frogs still work in the early fall?

Any suggestions y'all could give I would really appretiate..

BuckSnort is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2009, 09:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: First Delta trip

Save yourself a lot of trouble and launch at Russo's in Franks Tract. Don't count out the light stuff. First year I was told leave that light stuff at home and I caught a bunch of two pounders on 12 pound test. Next year I brought my light stuff a dropsotted an eleven pounder on 6 pound test. Also caught a lot more fish. Fish the way you are comfortable and have fun.
Robert F is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2009, 09:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

The area you are reffering to is a great area to fish, frogs work all year long out here its just were and how you throw them. You cannot go wrong with jigs utilizing a beaver trailer here. Throw blue colors in dirty water and more natural colors in clearer water. The best jig's that i have found are the Dirty Jigs No-Jack Grass Jigs, they have one of the strongest hooks that i have seen and really come through the tules well. www.dirtyjigstackle.com Shallow cranks are always good, go with the Delta craw or any redish orange color with a 2-4ft dive rate for working wooded areas and grass lines. The biggest factor out here is the tide. Find them WAY back in the cover on incoming and outside line on the outgoing. It all ways seems best to me to find moving water. If it is HOT then you must find SHADE! they are always in the shade, even in like only 6" of water if there is shade then use it.
Hope this helps, i just had the best day on the water this year on sat. boated over 20 fish and got a few good size mommas as well. Feel free to contact me when you arive i would love to take ya out and show ya around as would many great guys on here would as well.

some pics from this weekend!

89basstracker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2009, 12:14 AM   #4 (permalink)

I think it's great that you are able to fish and have a good time even with your deformed right hand

Don't be mad, I'm just busting your balls and those are nice fish. At least you're not throwing up the "shocker"!
Old 08-11-2009, 12:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

Finese techniques can be good, but you just have to beef them up a bit, if your gonna DS use a Bubba shot rig. If you bring your Spinning outfit with the 6lb test you will end up getting Dogged out and never seeing that fish you came up here catch. Just beef things up is all I am sayin you dont have to leave techniques behind.
Now the places you mentioned are good places to fish but not on a first trip to the delta. Both Little Franks and B-Break both have some hidden trash that can ruin trip really easy and if you dont know where they are they will bite you! Same goes for launching out of Big Break, it can be a mine field gettin out there if you not following a certain path. My suggestion would be this, make the trip up and stop by the Hook Line Sinker on your way in and they will go over a map with and provide you with some info on whats goin on lately. Then go launch at Russo's Marina, it is located on Franks Tract a central Delta location to both endeds of the River and there is also a floating Hook Line and Sinker at the ramp where you can also pop in the morning of and get more info / map help and tackle that is workin lately.

1. Frog
2. shallow crank (craw)
3. Lunker Punker
4. Flippin stick

The Hook http://hookproshop.com/
Russo's Marina http://www.russosmarina.com/
Old 08-11-2009, 01:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
I think it's great that you are able to fish and have a good time even with your deformed right hand

Don't be mad, I'm just busting your balls and those are nice fish. At least you're not throwing up the "shocker"!

Old 08-11-2009, 01:54 AM   #7 (permalink)

LOL
yea i had to have a custom real done to crank with only 2 fingers some times i just get to excited and the hillbilly white trash comes out in me!!!!
89basstracker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2009, 08:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
ash

A few things, you can start to learn how to flip and pitch before your trip. Stand in your yard on a milk crate and start doing it. There are a few videos out there on a how to, this is really going to make your fishing easier for you. Mechanics are extremely helpful out on the river.

Launch out of Russos as the guys mentioned it is great, BB does have some underwater surprises so be careful out through there.

Depending on what is going on in this fall when your up here, will depend upon the bite. The stripers will run the shad throughout Franks tract and some of the other nearby sloughs. Last year spook, jerkbait and swimbait were the three baits on my deck throughout the fall. If the shad are not up and running then Jig, Brushhog, Craw Colored Crank, froggy on deck.

Beef up your line and read some of the excellent articles that are available to you. I love this river and hope you will enjoy it as well.
ash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2009, 11:24 AM   #9 (permalink)

First trip up here just concentrate on Franks, or if you're really determined to run somewhere just stay in the sloughs close to Franks. I'd really suggest staying the heck away from Little Franks and Big Break, until you are able to get someone to show you the hazard areas, as there are many and several lower units are lost each year there, even by guys who know the areas.

Franks has everything you'll need to be successful now - grass flats, isolated grass beds, tules, rip rap with good weed lines, etc. You can throw swimbaits over the grass and around the weed lines (Big Hammers work killer here), and do some flipping and pitching to the tules, rip rap banks and walls. Also, if you're not fishing a tournament don't overlook the tule bank just across from Russos, on down to Sugar Barge, as there are lots of fish released in the marina area and choose to stay close. There is a ton of small shad in the marina right now, so there will be plenty of fish to chase real close.

Good luck, and have fun!
Roger
tunaman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2009, 01:43 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thank you all for the great info...I really appreciate that

I was thinking about going around mid sept.... Is it usually really windy in sept? I read these forums and I see guys talking about their 80-100 lb thrust TM's for the wind...That has me a little concerned cause mine is only 45 lbs
BuckSnort is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the California Bass Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in