» Site Navigation
» Home
»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Forum Search
» Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2010, 01:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Greg Cornish
Default Here's an iPhone app I use for fishing

It's called GPS Kit and it isn't made for water, however, I make it work. First it allows you to put waypoints in sets. I chose to start at Rodman Slough to Ceago Dock and labeled it Rodman to Ceago. Inside that set, I have 15 or 20 way points with descriptive names of places I fish.

Here's a small example of the waypoints in the map view.

I make all my way points in Google Earth and save them. They are backed up on two drives as all my data is. Then 1 by 1 I transfer the way points to GPS Kit. You can set them in GPS Kit but I prefer this because I have 200 entered and it's more accurate.

So, let's say I'm at Henderson and I want to go to Tule Island and I'm fogged in. I zoom in on Tule Island and touch the red pin and it identifies it and tells me how far away I am.

(the distance here isn't correct for Henderson, but it is for my house). If you then touch the > inside the blue circle this screen appears.

Then if you touch the compass the screen will change to this.

Once you exceed 4 mph the compass will turn in the correct direction and guide you to Tule Island. If you have the Track feature turned on it will save your track for later use. .

You can also email coordinate to your computer for putting into Google Earth at home.

Greg Cornish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2010, 02:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
AC

Default Re: Here's an iPhone app I use for fishing

Don't you have this on your fishfinder? I have the same things stored into my Humminbird at all times. It seems to have all of these functions and more. better yet I dont have to pay a monthly charge to use it.
www.histackleboxshop.com/
www.costadelmar.com
www.catchemcarobaits.com/
www.therodglove.com
Even the worst day on the lake is better then the best day at work...
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2010, 02:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC
Don't you have this on your fishfinder? I have the same things stored into my Humminbird at all times. It seems to have all of these functions and more. better yet I dont have to pay a monthly charge to use it.
No I don't have or want GPS on my fishfinder. I'm a casual fisherman. I don't have to pay a monthly charge to use this program. I pay a monthly charge for my phone. Can you phone home on your fish finder or do you have a cell you pay a mothly rate on?

I a a Bottom Line Tournament HR Side Finder technology (the company Hummingbird bought) in the rear of the boat and I have a mid priced Hummingbird in the front. It's a pontoon. I'd hate to have a fish finder that was worth more than my boat

This does a lot more to, this is an example. You can find out what more it does at http://www.garafa.com/

I can also use it off the water which I doubt I could do with my fish finder.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2010, 04:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
AC

Nothing against you at all, I can respect a casual angler and understand where you are coming from. I just personally cant see paying 100 bucks a month for a cell phone. Especially when they dont work at my house (hippies took over my hick town and believe cell phones kill people and massive amounts of weed do not). I have a kickboat and my fish finder is a humminbird 383C. Its less then 400 bucks (4 months or less of cell service) and it is easy to take on and off so I can transfer it from my kickboat to my buddys bass boat. With it goes my waypoints, a good fish finder, depth sensor, speedometer and temp. I do agree the Iphone is pretty incredible but I just cant get myself to spend the cash. If you already have one thats great, and millions of people do. My friend has one and he has the fish apps as well as navionics and its sweet but its also not water proof (he has gone through 6 Iphones) and not really practical for everyday use out on the lake. That is why he has a HDS5 with GPS as well as the Iphone.
www.histackleboxshop.com/
www.costadelmar.com
www.catchemcarobaits.com/
www.therodglove.com
Even the worst day on the lake is better then the best day at work...
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2010, 04:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Yes I've lost one cell on the water in 10 years and that's when I went down with the boat. My buddy on the other hand has lost 5 in two years. I keep wondering which one is the handicapped one ;-) I don't need to use it that much unless I'm fishing at night and want to make a bee line. at soon as I get a reference I can use a shore light for that. I pretty much know every nook and cranny in Clear Lake. Rock piles are another story.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

hehe, i'm waiting to port the navionics on my new 'imap'
Old 01-28-2010, 12:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Z
hehe, i'm waiting to port the Navionics on my new 'imap'
I'm going to have to trap Stockoption and have him show my how to use my Navionics program on the iphone

Old 01-28-2010, 07:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

ugh no gps on i-pad
Old 01-28-2010, 11:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Z
ugh no gps on i-pad
Ya, I'm out

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the California Bass Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in