» Site Navigation
» Home
»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Forum Search
» Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2010, 01:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Greg Cornish
Default Need your opinion

I fell in love with this little Gregor. I've been looking for a stable little Jon Boat. Its a 1983 16.5 ft. with a Merc 70 hp and hasn't been run since 1997. I doubt the motor has 100 hours on it. Before that it had limited use. My mechanic said the things you had to worry about was the lower unit, compression and seals on a motor that old. I took it to him before I bought it and he found all three holes had 140 PSI and the impeller was folded over as he expected and the lower unit was tight but needed a lube change. It started and ran fine on the first crank. I bought the trailer and boat and engine for $2500. It has a stainless steel prop.

The live well and bilge pump work well and there is ample storage in the front.

I love my boats to be in excellent shape and reliable. This boat was set up to run the engine, trolling motor and live well off one battery. I'm changing all that. With this light of a boat, I've decided to use one trolling battery and two starting batteries with a Perko switch between the starting batteries. I bought all new seats, put in some new flooring re-did all the lighting fixtures and bulbs and installed a complete new trailer lighting system. I buffed the aluminum and put on mag wheels and new tires. I installed a new fire extinguisher. New safety chains and winch cable.

I wouldn't feel comfortable getting to far away from where I put in unless I'm absolutely certain it'll be a good day, but I thought it would be a good traveling boat and a small lake boat.

I'll easily have $3500 into it when I'm done and just wonder if you guys think I've over spent.

Greg Cornish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2010, 02:24 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Need your opinion

Sounds like it is just what you need. AS long as you are happy that is all that counts. Would you get your money back? I can't think of a car or boat or any other depreciating item that ever works out that way. So the deal is as long as you are happy it is a good deal.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

$2500 was a good buy. The hull looks to be in excellent shape.
It's worth the $3500 you have into it. I wouldn't go investing any more money into it because you won't get that back since $3500 is about top price for that boat.
You should be able to fish out of that boat many years and get most or all of your money back.
Whoopbass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2010, 03:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

More then getting your money back – I would worry about your old @ss falling out.

How are you going to get in and out and are you taking your wheelchair with you? I would hope you will always be going with some else that can swim for the both of you and that is a lot of responsible you will be placing on him.

I have a friend that fishes out of his wheelchair but he is a young dude and can kick my @ss all day long and his boat is a big glass one. I understand you said you were only going to take it out when there is good weather but other boats will rock that little boat silly. If you do take your wheelchair try to make it were it will float – you can use those tubes that kids use to swim with in the pool – the ones that come in all those bright colors.

Hope it works out for you – I would hate to be reading some post where they are looking for you crusty old @ss. You just got a new truck to pull you house boat, what is wrong with that?

[size=10pt]Inland Marine - http://www.inland-marine.com/[/size]
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2010, 10:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
bmx

Send a message via AIM to bmx

I sold this 17ft Ranger 335v last year for $3750 for some comparison
new carpet, custom flippin deck, 135hp outboard. did 50+mph
Handled great rough water for a little boat
Attached Images
File Type: png sm Ranger topveiw.png (130.2 KB, 85 views)
www.NorCalRampRats.com
bmx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2010, 12:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty
More then getting your money back – I would worry about your old @ss falling out.....
Yes, If I decide to keep it, I will definitely do a differrent seating arrangement in the rear, complete with a motorized swivel seat (captains chair with arm rests) that locks in place.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMX
I sold this Ranger 335v last year for $3750 for some comparison
new carpet, custom flippin deck, 135hp outboard. did 50+mph
Handled great rough water for a little boat
What was the length on that? How used was the motor, just for comparison. I might not sell my boat in CA. You [edit] can't sell a fiberglass boat in the Midwest - I have no idea why - they all want aluminum.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

When your talking comparable 20+ year old boats aluminum seems to hold their value better then glass.

If your going to be fishing Clear Lake primarily you might want to sell the tin boat and get a glass rig since your going to get blown around pretty good in that thing.

That little Ranger was a clean boat. Somebody got a good deal.
Whoopbass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2010, 01:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

I would probably just use the aluminum boat for Rodman Slough and smaller water.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ive had a 14 foot aluminum flatbottom for about 10 years. It has a 15 HP Merc and I put a little deck in for bass fishing with bow mount trolling motor. I paid about 2000$ for it and its the best 2000$ I ever spent.
I have had that boat in every river and lake in Norcal. I can fish all day for about 5$ in gas and it is easy to tow. Let alone you can get it into a lot of small canals and sloughs.
If the winds not blowing you will have no problems fishing it all over Clearlake.
I think you will love that thing Greg. I would be willing to bet you get more than your moneys worth out of it!
lowerider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the California Bass Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in