» Site Navigation
» Home
»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Forum Search
» Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2010, 05:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Fishing the Delta.....????

I am planning to go up to Stockton for largemouth bass fishing during the July 4th weekend. I will be making a reservation at Paradise Point Marina in Stockton CA for a one day fishing boat rental.

It will be my first time fishing the delta for LMB. Some questions:

1) What are the best baits to throw this time of the year on the delta? Reaction? Plastics? Frogs?

2) Is a dropshot do-able on the delta? Leave it at home right?

3) Should I switch all of the line on my reels to braid? (I always hear about the infamous Delta mats/salad/cheese).

4) I like fluorocarbon for my cranks/jerks baits, Texas rigs and football head jigs. What is the highest LB test fluoro I can go? I donít want to lose a BIG fish in case I get held up in a nasty situation. Should I go braid for these also?

Last but not least,

5) What are some hot spots/sloughs? Franks tract? Whiskey slough? I know that home turf anglers will be stingy on hot spot info so its kool I understand if you give me a bad spot or no advice.

6) Any other tips/advice I should know about to fish the delta?

Hope you can help me out.

Thanks,
Chue Chang
dinklimit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2010, 06:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Fishing the Delta.....????

Well here is my view on the Delta, for starters a drop shot can be a deadly technique on the Delta and if the fishing is tough I wouldnt hesitate one bit to go to that since your just funfishing anyway. As far as line size the place is very versitle you can get away with 6 and 8lb test in some areas and you might need heavyier in others. I would stick to the floro for all the things you mentioned. I would set up one rod for frogs flipin punchin that type of stuff with 65lb braid have another rod for jigs senkos worms with 15-20lb floro one for spinnerbaits/cranks with 15-20lb floro and a drop shot with 8-10 lb floro. With those I think you should be set. Some of my favorite baits on the delta are Beavers, craw speed traps,7 inch senkos green pumpkin, and MM3 6" Robo worms on the drop shot for catching numbers. Good luck to you hope this helps! Be sure to let us know how you end up doin- FISH ON!!!!
Old 06-21-2010, 06:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
ash

Chue,

Welcome to the Delta, and may your first Delta fish be a pig. Pardaise Point Marine dumps you into Dissapointment Slough and to the right is Bishop Cut and starts or ends Whites Slough. Both are great fishing grounds and where I spend a lot of my time on the delta. So really you dont need to run far, as a matter of fact there are days I will put my trolling motor down and start fishing. Especially on the west slough that leads into Paradise as the stripers run bait in there almost every morning.

If you want to catch some froggy fish you will need\want braid 55lb - you can run a top shot of about 50yrds and this will get you through your trip. For your other rigs, you can leave your football head jigs at home, they are crap in the grass and in the tulles, and youll lose them in the rip rap. You may want some flippin jigs in Black and Brown, I prefer TnT Wadda Jigs, but Pepper, rodstrainer etc... make a good jig. Brown jig with a purple trailer or black jig with a blue saphire trailer I like the Zoom 3.5" pork chunks for the blue saphire and the yamamoto 193 (Purple Blue Flake)

For Flipping and pitching Brush Hog in Green Pumpkin and Black blue, or Beavers in Xmas Pumpkin and Blck Blue. Its advise to use some strong Fluro(some guys use braid) 17-20lb - I flip with 20lb.

Senkos still take down thier fair share of big fish, 6" senkos in Green Pumpkin is a staple color dont be afraid to throw your 7" senkos and 8" dead ringers shhhh.

A speed trap in spring craw or red craw for crank bait and a chartruse blue one.

Drop Shot or finnesse rods are at times necessary on the delta, last weekend I had the 8lb tst out and was putting down a so cal clear water technique on em, but only catching rats...go figure. You can drop shot out here just be prepared for some heartbrache, but you may end up strockin em on it especially on the deeper ledges.

Give me a shout when you get closer to your day of reckoning and I will shoot you a PM with some details.

If I were you, I would have two frogs tied on and a follow up bait of a 1oz beaver and a punch skirt, maybe a senko....this will show you the delta for what it is.
ash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2010, 09:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

If you are renting one of Paradise Points boats, I would forget Franks and Whiskey. That would be quite a run for one of their boats. As mentioned, Disappointment or White are good waters.
DSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the California Bass Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in