» Site Navigation
» Home
»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Forum Search
» Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2010, 02:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Pre-Fishing the Delta?

Is anyone heading out to the Delta this week? I am going to fish the Pro-Teen on Sunday, and am trying to get a practice on the Delta before the tournament. I am close to Russo's, but am willing to meet up somewere close. I have gas money, and a lunch. Let me know.

Thanks again

Josh
Bigjosh15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2010, 03:01 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Pre-Fishing the Delta?

Prefishing the Delta is a waist of time..... Yep I said it...The only real reason to prefish is to rule out spots. The Delta is fishing so odd that from week to week the bite gos crazy. Save your money, go fish and have fun!!

Just my 0.02
texas john is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2010, 11:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
ash

If anyone is going out and doesnt have a partner, I can vouch for Josh. He is a great guy, and a good .

Josh my brother I will see you on Sunday, with some luck maybe we will be paired If not I have two things to say....SENKO 6" and 7" Green Pumpkin or Black Blue Flake and Frog....you may even want a punker tied on weather depending.
ash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2010, 11:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

If everything works out this week, you know my recent troubles, I'll be and out and try to get you at. I'll get at your phone when I know.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas john
Prefishing the Delta is a waist of time..... Yep I said it...The only real reason to prefish is to rule out spots. The Delta is fishing so odd that from week to week the bite gos crazy. Save your money, go fish and have fun!!

Just my 0.02
John, I got to disagree bro. The Dirty-D is fishing very different from years past but there are several varriables to account for when prefishing the Delta.

1. Pre fish same tidal conditions (http://www.deltaboating.com/tides/mokegse/mokegse.html)

For example do your research a head of time. Look at a tide table for the day of your tournament and prefish on day where the tidal conditions are the same. When looking at tidal chart for July the 1st, 3rd and 5th Saturdays all have very similar tidal movements. If your tournament is ont he 5th Saturday of the month than you have two prefishing trips to figure out a pattern for tournament day.

2. Fishing Journal.Log the time and tide that you caught your fish on. Especially your bigger fish. People have been stating how they see all these big roamers and they can't get them to bite. They have to eat at some point, whether it is on the outside weed edge on low tide or tucked in tight to structure on high tide, they have to eat. (This has been my experience and I am sure other peoples have different, but this process has worked for me targeting bigger fish out there all year).

3. Water Clarity. If you find a water clarity pattern (i.e. dirty water vs clear) chances are that that same bite/pattern is going in similar places to where you patterned it. By duplicating this pattern, paired with the time the fish bite at this spot, you can formulate a chronological sequence of your spots and plan of how your day unfolds.

4. Weather-Our weather has been all over the map this year but has some what stablized to windy and hot. For example, if you go to a spot 8am and do not get bit until 9am. Pay attention to what is going on around you. Did the wind come up and put a light chop on the water? Did sun cast a shadow on a specific stretch of bank? Did the sun cast a secondary shadow on submerged structure? Are there clouds? What is the barometric pressure? These are all things I consider when trying to pattern fish in the Delta.

5. Running the Tides- I had my theory about this, but it wasn't until I went to Gene B.'s seminar about running the tides that it all began to make sense to me. In a nutshell, by running the tides you can consistently fish water with tidal movement and avoid slack tide.

In summation, there is no replacement for time on the water. With the furloughs and lack of funds, I could only only afford to fish several places and the delta because of its cheap launch fees and closeness to me has become one of my usual haunts. (I miss Clear Lake but the Dirty-D has been showing more love at half the price). It takes a significant amount of time on the water to put all five of these attributes of fishing the delta together to develope a pattern. I have had a great year out there with a lot big fish (yes, those bigger fish are easier to find during the week than come Saturday). I have learned more about the delta this year by following he previously mentioned five steps than in my previous 3 years of fishing it. With that being said there are dog days out there. It happens every where, but my experience has been that it was a result of my poor fishing than the fish. Lastly, fish your pattern and your strengths and don't fish for other peoples fish. For example, if someone tells you that they wacked +30lbs on a punker in the middle of little mandeville; and you decide that your game plan is to toss punkers in Little Mandeville when you have never caught a punker fish or have never been in Little Mandeville...chances are you are not going to duplicate it and you have just wasted several hours on a dock talk bite. Fish your strengths, build confidence in your baits/style of fishing and develope your own pattern from there. A friend once told me that Delta fish are the easiest fish to pattern and I thought WTF is he talking about? I now believe him after experimenting myself(keep in mind there are windows of time for each bite). Build a network of friends outside the boards who you can trust and compare notes with. The boards only go so far with respect to providing valuable information and subtance.

Just my 2 cents.

Wes

Days on the Water -  30 something
(Year goals achieved) 
2011 Best 5 Fish Count                 
Big fish 1- 11.5lbs
Big fish 2- 8lbs 14oz   
Big fish 3- 7.5lbs
Big fish 4- 7lbs 4oz                                 
Big fish 5- 7lbs 2oz
Total: 42lbs 4oz
phishenfool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2010, 01:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

All good points Wes, and I assure you I follow all of that myself. But the fact remains that prefishing 2 weeks out or 1 day out may show you nothing come tournament day. You have to rely on your past experinces as to where to go and what to do. Prefish on Friday for a Saturday Tournament, windy 80 degrees light clouds. Tournament on Saturday, blue bird sky, no wind, and 100 degrees...Fishing will be differant!
Old 07-12-2010, 01:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas john
All good points Wes, and I assure you I follow all of that myself. But the fact remains that prefishing 2 weeks out or 1 day out may show you nothing come tournament day. You have to rely on your past experinces as to where to go and what to do. Prefish on Friday for a Saturday Tournament, windy 80 degrees light clouds. Tournament on Saturday, blue bird sky, no wind, and 100 degrees...Fishing will be differant!
1 day out yes, case in point. I Prefished for a turkey shoot on a Friday and caught 26lbs with a 7lb 14 oz kicker. The next day the fish had moved and the type of bite changed (in accordance to the tides) and it was later...with no wind. I agree totally. 2 weeks out same tide, relatively same temp +/- 5degrees, the fish in the areas I am getting them are still there. A 20 degree shift, I wouldn't know as I haven't experienced that kind of radical temperature change out there this year...but things considered 80 to 100 would make an interesting challenge...and miserable conditions.

Days on the Water -  30 something
(Year goals achieved) 
2011 Best 5 Fish Count                 
Big fish 1- 11.5lbs
Big fish 2- 8lbs 14oz   
Big fish 3- 7.5lbs
Big fish 4- 7lbs 4oz                                 
Big fish 5- 7lbs 2oz
Total: 42lbs 4oz
phishenfool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2010, 06:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

This happened just recently in the WRL Tournament on the Delta, Friday it was 80 with rain in the morning, Sunday was over 100....Last year on CL we had the first 100 degree day of the year on tournament day, Saturday before the tournament it was 82 for the high. Got hot and calm and the fish ran for the hills. Fishing this time of year can be tough, so just go and fish and have fun, you will learn a ton in the first hour or so of the day that will help you for the rest of that day and the next trip out! Always be evolving!!
Old 07-12-2010, 07:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks everyone. I currently found someone to go with hopefully. Thanks again everyone. And yea Ash, hopefully we draw each other. Maybe u could show me were those DD fish are?
Bigjosh15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2010, 11:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
ash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjosh15
Thanks everyone. I currently found someone to go with hopefully. Thanks again everyone. And yea Ash, hopefully we draw each other. Maybe u could show me were those DD fish are?
Why you lil if you werent bigger then me I would ring your neck for that Its going to be a great day, like I said Senko (da big ones) and frogs a must this time of year on the river. Give me a call if you want to chat prior to the event, are you staying up there or driving up in the AM?

J
ash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the California Bass Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in