» Site Navigation
» Home
»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Forum Search
» Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2010, 10:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Curious ?

Went fishing yesterday evening..Fished for a few hours for 14 fish..mostly dinks...

I caught all my fish on a drop shot with shad colored plastics..Just about every one of them would spit up crawdads at the boat...After seeing the first few do this I figured that a brown jig would work great..I tossed a jig a periodically while I was there without it getting bit..Even though they were obviously eating crayfish they wanted nothing to do with my jig...

I tried slowly crawling the jig, hoping it, and even swimming it... I guess what I am asking is why didn't they want the jig?
BuckSnort is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2010, 11:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Curious ?

They are eating the crawdads at night . The full moon has the crawdads very active at night .
Hardcore Bass Fishing
bassman10.66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2010, 11:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ever had pasta one too many times in a week? Maybe they wanted something new
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2010, 11:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
jiggin4bass

which lake are you fishing millerton pineflat hensley or eastman. Hensley & Eastman have been on a good 1/8 & 1/4 oz. jig bite for the last 3 weeks Millerton has been on and 1/8oz jig bite for a month now.
eastman and hensley colors are Lite grn pumpkin / 208 yamamoto 4" twin tail grub And high light the tails
Millerton colors blaze orange/lite grn pumpkin 284 or 286 yamamoto 4" twin tail grubs again highlight the tails
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2010, 11:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

My other thought is the rate of fall. If the crawdads are scooting around maybe the jig was too heavy. The drop sahot keeping it up off the bottom enough to match the zone where they were ambushing the dads
Old 07-27-2010, 11:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Good points fella's...

Didn't think about them eating the dads at night...Guess it's time to do some night fishing...

Good point on the rate of fall... I did notice that close to half of my bites came from the fall of the cast, start to reel and feel weight... The jig was a 3/8 oz hand poured/tied with a rage craw trailer...pretty slow...I tossed a weightless wacky senko for a fish or two also...I just hate fishing them like that in 10' or deeper water cause no matter what with that much line out I cant seem to keep from gut hooking them...

What I really need to do is go fishing with someone new once in a while... I have been fishing the same kind of fishing (finesse) since I started bass fishing...Sometimes It seems stale and I think I need to learn some new techniques...

Old 07-28-2010, 08:21 AM   #7 (permalink)

Try getting away from the finesse sometime. throw a crawdad color---crankbait, scrounger, chatterbait maybe slow roll a colorado bladed spinnerbait, work them slow, you be surprized what you may catch. Tie yourself on a Norman speed clip and switch it up.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
outdoorsman

You can also tell what the fish are freshly eating by their teeth. If the teeth are sharper its likely a fish like shad or trout, if there worn down its likely they were munchin the 'dads
Old 07-29-2010, 01:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
jiggin4bass

Buck if your going to eastman here in the future im right on the way too the lake shoot me a pm ill send you my address if you want too stop by i can show you the exact jigs were using at eastman, hensley & millerton ill even give you a few samples.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:15 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for the tips fella's... I appreciate it...

Mark, Thanks for the offer ...I have been hitting the flat lately as the bite there has been better...(for me anyway)

When I throw jigs I am usually throwing one I have tied...Seems like brown has been as good as any...I usually just throw Brown with either a brown of purple trailer..

Here's a couple I tied...I usually use a more full skirt...I was just trying something different...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the California Bass Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in