» Site Navigation
» Home
»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Forum Search
» Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2009, 10:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help Guys... Electronics question!!

I have an X17 up front and have had it for about 3 years. I love it! I have a new X series graph back on the console....heres my question...

Ive never had a problem finding fish with my X17 and have never had a problem with it. BUT... now that I have the new unit on the back, I'll meter alot of fish in deep water both on bottom and susspended..then I'll hop up front and I am not metering the amount of fish I am on the back graph.
I still meter fish on the front unit...but for some reason it doesnt compare to the amount I meter on the back unit. I have adjusted the sensitivity and everything on both units so they are the same... Is it possible for a unit to lose its strength over time?? Why are more fish showing up on my new graph then what are being shown on my X17 up front? Can it be that Im getting false readings on my new graph? or is it that my front graph isnt as powerful anymore?? do I need a new puck??

Like I said..Ive never had a problem with my X17 but now that I have the new graph and Im metering more fish on it, I second guessing my front unit.

Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2009, 10:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Help Guys... Electronics question!!

Pete
Write this down and don't ever lose it!

Lowrance Settings: Sensitivity 85%
Grayline scale 50%
Chart speed 80%
Ping power 50%

Try shutting down the rear unit and see if it improves the X17 up front.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

What are those numbers from? Are they the standard settings??
The sensitivity is usually different on each lake depending on clarity and depth.
As a rule of thumb I set my sensitivity at 82 and go from there...I'll look into the other numbers as well.. Why not always have your chart speed a 100%? Thats what Ive always done.. As far as the greyline and Ping I'll check to see what I have mine set at... My guess is that they are also each at 50%.

So does a unit lose its stregth? Could it be that my front puck is getting worn out or could it be that my back unit is getting false readings?

Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2009, 12:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

Pete,

Take a bat to the X17 and get a Humminbird 985.
Arti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2009, 01:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
bmx

Send a message via AIM to bmx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arti
Pete,

or better yet a 997.... I like mine ALOT
www.NorCalRampRats.com
bmx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2009, 01:26 AM   #6 (permalink)

Hey Pete I have a X-17 in the front and I just got a LCX-28HD for the console. I can't believe the difference between them night and day. I thought my X-17 was good and it is but the 28-HD really picks up a lot more. I have been told the color units are just simply superior. Don't know if the units lose strength over time. I am a caveman when it comes to electronics but I do know I want a color unit for the bow also
Dom E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2009, 04:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

hawgdog,

Thanks for posting this. Is this is the preferred settings for newer units as well? Say the LCX-38HD or the LMS-527?

I watched as Don Iovino was helping Tim Klinger dial in his Lowrance unit at the Columbia River (waiting for Tim to finish up before we all got a bite to eat) and those numbers look pretty similar to what Don setup. Too bad I didn't write it down, but was planning on pinging him again once I upgrade my front graph.
VinnieTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2009, 12:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

I too have same problem. I put my x15 on the front(had one on front and console).Got the 28HD-moved my console unit which showed me good views of the bottom,to the front.I recently updated it with the new version from Lowrance.I think the problem is the puck. I sold my bow unit and gave the guy the transducer and cables that were on the console unit. My x15 up front is now blurry compared to when it was on the console. Only thing that changed was the puck. I have a hard time looking at the x15 now that Im spoiled with how awesome the 28HD is....I spin it around and look at it to compare the two. When I can afford it I will be changing out the front too.For now-gonna try a new puck...I will let you know how that turns out.Also, side note-the I.S.E will be having Lowrance seminars this weekend at the Sacramento show.I plan on asking these same questions.
Welder Dude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2009, 02:08 AM   #9 (permalink)

Default Cool Welder Dude...

Let me know what you find out at the seminars.

Thanks..

Pete
Old 01-13-2009, 08:58 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arti
Pete,

or better yet a 997.... I like mine ALOT
What the heck get an 1197SI. Turn the unit on and go fishing no magical settings needed.

I have a 1197SI at the console and a 917 up front and internlinked. Great units.

Mike

Mike
Triton Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the California Bass Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in