» Site Navigation
» Home
»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Forum Search
» Insurance
California Bass Fishing Forum

California Bass Fishing Forum (https://www.calbassin.com/forum/index.php)
-   Northern California (https://www.calbassin.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Use Your Heads (https://www.calbassin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=935)

Greg Cornish 01-12-2009 11:12 PM

Use Your Heads

Ok, I owned this pontoon for 4-5 years and on a whim decided to check the pontoons for water. My handyman pulled the plugs. They were bone dry.

He put the plugs back in. a couple years later the boat started riding low in the water in the rear. We pulled the plugs again and about 500-600 gallons of water came running out. I looked at the plugs and they had both been severely cross threaded when the handyman put them in.

Using pipe tape and being careful I was able to thread the right one in all the way and seat it. The left I took to a good boat repair guy and machinist to install.

Today I pull out of the lake and the water is over the back deck of the pontoon - lucky to get back on time. The pontoons are like full of water. The right more than left Once again about a ton of water in both. The boat was in dry dock for over a month. No water leaks out the plugs. If it can leak in there, it can leak out

Somewhere in both pontoons there is a leak. I suspect vandalism because they both went at the same time.

Air Pressure? Shoot water in? If the leak is hidden by the trailer runners that even worse. Anyone now of anyone in Lake or Mendocino County that good with this? I want to live.

Dom E 01-12-2009 11:31 PM

Re: Use Your Heads

Sorry to hear of your situation. I keep my boat at Braitos Marina in Buckingham and there is a repair shop there I think it's called White&Son Boat Repair. I would recommend calling Tony at Braitos and he could let you know. Hope this helps sorry I don't have the # with me.

Dominic

TWinger 01-13-2009 02:37 PM

Greg, Years ago we used to tank pressure some pontoons. We did it by putting a plug in the same drain hole you were speaking about that had been drilled and tapped for a pressure gauage and bike type air tip to fill with air. We would put just enough air in to bring the gauge up to about 10 lbs. watch it and see if the air pressure falls. If it does we used windex to spray around the welds and likeley spots to see if it bubbles like you would check a propane tank or house gas line. You can add more air slowly to help locate the leaks if needed. This should work I would think.

Greg Cornish 01-13-2009 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TWinger
Greg, Years ago we used to tank pressure some pontoons. We did it by putting a plug in the same drain hole you were speaking about that had been drilled and tapped for a pressure gauage and bike type air tip to fill with air. We would put just enough air in to bring the gauge up to about 10 lbs. watch it and see if the air pressure falls. If it does we used windex to spray around the welds and likeley spots to see if it bubbles like you would check a propane tank or house gas line. You can add more air slowly to help locate the leaks if needed. This should work I would think.

Good Idea. now I have to figure out how to get it off the runners on the trailer.

backseatk 01-13-2009 07:49 PM

i would have left them full of water and look for the water seeping out. i suspect since they were dry before removing the plugs, the plug bung is damaged. start there first.

Welder Dude 01-13-2009 08:21 PM

Fill the tanks with water through the drain hole its the same only in reverse Thumbs Up

Greg Cornish 01-13-2009 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by backseatk
i would have left them full of water and look for the water seeping out. i suspect since they were dry before removing the plugs, the plug bung is damaged. start there first.

Yes, thought of that but my buddy had the prostate gland rotor routed the day before and I'm in a chair so we were in no condition to be crawling around under it. Come to think of it, he was so sore, I probably missed the only opportunity I'll ever have to beat the **** outa someone.

Greg Cornish 01-13-2009 08:29 PM

Someone said blowing smoke in them would work. Thats a good idea but I got to find a machine. Heard some RV places might have em.

Justin Warmack 01-13-2009 08:38 PM

I run a locomotive air brake shop. We test reservoirs regularly, add water to the pontoons and then pump up with a bike pump leak should be very easy to find.

stockoption 01-14-2009 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dom E
Sorry to hear of your situation. I keep my boat at Braitos Marina in Buckingham and there is a repair shop there I think it's called White&Son Boat Repair. I would recommend calling Tony at Braitos and he could let you know. Hope this helps sorry I don't have the # with me.

Dominic

I keep my boat at Braitos too :)

As mentioned, Ryan at White and Sons Boatworks may be able to help or at least recommend someone who can:

http://www.wsboatworks.com/