» Site Navigation
» Home
»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Forum Search
» Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2010, 07:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Price vs. Warranty vs. Quality

I am looking to get an arsenal of rods, within the next couple of weeks, but I don't want to spend more than I need to. I would like to get somewhere between 5 and 10 rods. I have been checking out the rods that are just under $100, but I really don't want to buy crap. I want to get good quality rods that can last for years to come without breaking the bank and if something does happen to them I would like the peace of mind of a good warranty. So my question is it really worth it to spend the extra and get the rods I truly would rather get (Dobyns Savvy) or get the less expensive rods and not piss off the wife (She is monitoring the purchase). Reels are going to need to be purchased also, but I think I am thinking low end Revos, but I am open to suggestions.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Price vs. Warranty vs. Quality

I'm using some of the Dobyns Savy Rods and am very impressed comparing them to the Champions and Champ Extremes I have. There is nothing "Economy" about them, very awesome product and better than some high end - high dollar rods. Gary hit the price and features dead-on with this series of Rods. All it takes is trying one Dobyns Rod and you'll be hooked....think I need rehab I want to keep ordering more and more....

Sponsored by these fine companies: Skeeter Boats, Yamaha Outboards, MinnKota Motors & Chargers, Humminbird Electronics, Dobyn's Rods, LakeMaster Charts, Transducer Shield and Saver, LuckyCraft Lures, Daiwa Reels, Dave's Custom Baits, OMEGA Custom Tackle, BullShad Swimbaits, Elite Tungsten, Angler Innovations, Massey Ferguson Farm Equipment.

Learn more about Side Imaging: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/si
DougV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2010, 07:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Sound like you should go with the Dobyns savvy series. High quality rod at a low price
bassmaster89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2010, 07:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

Probably should mention the low priced rods I have been looking at the most:
St. Croix Mojo
Abu Garcia Vendetta
Skeet's Wright and McGill

Some thoughts on these can't hurt.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

The BPS rods have fair prices good action and warranty. I have not had any problems with any of mine. I prefer the Johnny Morries Elite series rods but have also used and own the BPS Bionic Blade, both are great!!
texas john is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2010, 08:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

I can't say I've tried these but many guys (including my team partner) have had some very good luck with the Powell's. The Shimano Crucials are **** good as well for the dollar. I even thought the Crucials compared fairly favorably to my Loomis IMXs. Another rod company that I'm somewhat associated with are the Big Bear Fishing Rods. I absolutely love the ones I have (3 currently). It would be difficult to handle those as I don't think too many shops on the west coast have them yet but they are top notch.

Sorry Gary, don't have any of your rods yet so can't give an opinion...might give the Extreme series a try though....

Hope this helps a bit.

Todd
Big Bear Fishing Rods - www.bigbearfishingrods.com
Team - www.geemoto.com
Samuraiti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2010, 09:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

Wes I sent you a PM .
Hardcore Bass Fishing
bassman10.66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2010, 09:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

I think I may have it narrowed down a bit. With the Dobyns rods I can't get as many as I would like (I know more isn't always better), but these are the ones I think would make for a well rounded arsenal:
Spinning:
Casting:
734 Should I trade any one of these for a 7 footer? and if so why?
Old 08-18-2010, 10:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

Wes if you will call the shop tomorrow, me or Rich would be happy to talk rods with you. The Savvy Series was a little slow catching on with guys thinking "low end". They are now doing well.

I promise I won't make a line of rods I won't personally fish with. I started with good materials and jumped them 4 times to get them to where they are.

We'll be glad to talk rods with you. Your big decision is which one of my dealers will be happy
Gary Dobyns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2010, 10:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

Wes, I purchased my first 2 Dobyns rods this last april. A Champion 733 split handle and a Champion 805. They are both awsome rods and the 733 is very versatile. I recently had a warranty issue with my 733 (my fault) and it was adressed quikly by both Gary and Richard dobyns with personal concern. I also feel the price is very fair for the champion series. I havent gotten the chance to fish a savy series yet but they feel great and for the money hard to beat.

I own one St.Croix mojo rod that i bought just as a frog rod. I havent yet dealt with the warranty side of St.Croix. The Mojo rod is very durable and a good value for what I use it for.

Over the years I have owned rods built by most the larger builders and most of them do build a good rod, however not all have good service! I like to know that the company I decided to spend my money with WILL back their product and treat their customers not just as $ signs.

I realy think you should buy the rods that fit you well and can give you a little peace of mind. Think about what you plan to do with them, are you or are you going to be a tournament fisherman? Or do you plan to fish only a couple times a year.

MHO the St.Croix Mojo rod is a great price point but you truely get what you pay for with Dobyns. I think it is very hard to put a price on good service.

Also I am not sponsored by Dobyns or St.Croix these are just my opinions.

Have fun and good luck with your purchase.

Dan Wells
DAN518VX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the California Bass Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in