» Insurance
View Poll Results: What fuel do you use and whats best and why
Cheveron 25 54.35%
Shell 2 4.35%
Union 76 4 8.70%
Other 15 32.61%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2010, 10:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to swimbaitcity
Default Bass boat fuels

I hear stories of fuel going bad in tanks with the use of additives different companys use in their fuel. I was wondering what fuel you guys buy for your boats. I use nothing but mid grade 76 in my boat
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2010, 12:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Bass boat fuels

on older carb boats and efi.......use the mid grade. premium now has more alcohol and less chemicals to make the octaine rating. make sure you use the marine stabil and some type of carbon treatment. sea foam, quik clean, ring free etc. with the new fuels, its causing more carbon to build up in the motor and you risk breaking piston rings etc. so adding the treatments reduce the risk.
stay away from the cheap gas......run good gas.
fyi: according to the gas co....fuel starts breaking down after two weeks
Old 08-19-2010, 12:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

CHEVRON all the way, based on all of the above mentioned. I have also been told that once you choose a particular station, STICK WITH IT! Different companies use their own patented additives. Don't bounce around, even if the stations are top notch.

I know we are in a depressed economy, but every time I see a bass boat filling up at ARCO or 7/11, I ask myself 2 questions: "Why", and "When will they learn that cheap gas will eventually kill their motors"?

Remain calm at all times; it makes others look like complete idiots.
drrakruz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2010, 09:26 AM   #4 (permalink)

Bought my first Ranger with Yamaha 150 ProV in 1988 at Cal Custom Marine in Redding, Don the Mechanic took me outside and said look over there, accross the Hwy was a Chevron Gas station. He said, "don't ever use anything but that gas in my motor". Since, if I have to drive further to get Chevron, then that what I do. Only now the newer engines don't need the premium gas according to boat dealers, but still run Chevron regular.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:25 AM   #5 (permalink)

I put Chevron Premium in my 09 Evinrude 250 and my 1968
Evinrude 18 Hp. Allways Start up and run like a TOP..

oronald is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2010, 09:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Not to pop anyones bubble, but the only difference in the multiple choices of fuel out there is the additive in which the company chooses to use! All the fuel is the same, it all comes out of the same tank. I have been hauling fuel for over ten years and im telling you it is all the same!!!!

As far as Ethanol goes, The state dictates the amount of ethanol used and in cali. it is 10% by volume. There is no company that uses more ethanol to cut there fuel then is allowed by law. If you are useing Chevron, your best bet is to use Premium for it actully has double the tecron additive in it then either Reg or Mid. My personal preference is and allways will be 76 Unical, and the reason is they have been dealing with ethanol longer then any one out there.

Just thought id throw my two cents out there. See you at the pump!!
Kevin Cheek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2010, 11:21 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Cheek
Not to pop anyones bubble, but the only difference in the multiple choices of fuel out there is the additive in which the company chooses to use! All the fuel is the same, it all comes out of the same tank. I have been hauling fuel for over ten years and im telling you it is all the same!!!!

As far as Ethanol goes, The state dictates the amount of ethanol used and in cali. it is 10% by volume. There is no company that uses more ethanol to cut there fuel then is allowed by law. If you are useing Chevron, your best bet is to use Premium for it actully has double the tecron additive in it then either Reg or Mid. My personal preference is and allways will be 76 Unical, and the reason is they have been dealing with ethanol longer then any one out there.

Just thought id throw my two cents out there. See you at the pump!!
Now I'm confussed, you just started all fuel is the same and comes out of the same tank? Please explain further. So Chevron and 76 are the same fuel ?
Old 08-22-2010, 01:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

There is no reason to be confused, it is a total misconception about fuel! I was the same way before I started to haul it. All of us fuel haulers load right next to each other on the loading racks. At any givin time l will load Chevron and then the guy behind me will load Unical76. Like l said before all the fuel is the same, it is sent down the same pipe line and put into multiple holding tanks(million gallons or so)and then loaded on the racks into tankers were the additive is then injected into the fuel. At that point the fuel then becomes a branded(Chevron, Shell, Unical ect.) fuel, or a comunity additive is injected ie.(mom & pop,kwik serv,flyers,any station that is not a major). The only thing that makes the fuel different is the Additive that is injected into the Fuel!!

If you ever see a Tanker driver in a station delivering, just ask him and he will tell you the same thing. Something to remember is that there are multiple loading facilities all over this state, so there are times were some trucks will come right from the Refinery. People would like to think that there is a difference, but in all reallity there is no difference in fuel. Personal preferance and additive is the only difference. So the real question is, how has the best Additive and why?

There is also Stations to concider, new, old, busy, or even high elevation stations. Most of your busy stations rotate fuel quite fast ie(multiple delv.a week,or a day) in which l personaly think are best, becuase the fuel never stays long enough in the tank to start to seperate. Older stations are not really a problem any more, becuase the tanks are or have been upgrated for ethanol. I wont say that you cant get a bad tank of fuel, but the possibilitys are allways there and that goes for any station in which you use.

I personaly also will not fill up at a station were a Truck is delivering, or a delivery has just happened. This is just a personal prefference. Hope I was able to shed some light on the different fuels available to the public.
Kevin Cheek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2010, 04:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

I dont think the type of gas is as important as where it comes from...check this out!

WHERE TO BUY AMERICAN GASOLINE. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO KNOW. READ ON.

Gas rationing in the 70's worked even though we grumbled about it. It might even have been good for us!

Are you aware that the Saudis are boycotting American products? In addition, they are gouging us on oil prices.

Shouldn't we return the favor? Can't we take control of our own destiny and let these giant oil importers know who REALLY generates their profits, their livings? How about leaving American Dollars in America and reduce the import/export deficit?

An appealing remedy might be to boycott their GAS. Every time you fill up your car you can avoid putting more money into the coffers of Saudi Arabia. Just purchase gas from companies that don't import their oil from the Saudis.

Nothing is more frustrating than the feeling that every time I fill up my tank, I'm sending my money to people who I get the impression want me, my family and my friends dead. The following gas companies import Middle Eastern oil:

Shell...................................... 205,742,000 barrels
Chevron/Texaco...................... 144,332,000 barrels
Exxon /Mobil............................ 130,082,000 barrels
Marathon/Speedway............... 117,740,000 barrels
Amoco...................................... 62,231,000 barrels
And CITGO oil is imported from Venezuela by Dictator Hugo Chavez who hates America and openly avows our economic destruction! (We pay Chavez's regime nearly $10 Billion per year in oil revenues!)

The U.S. currently imports 5,517,000 barrels of crude oil per day from OPEC.. If you do the math at $100 per barrel, that's over $550 million PER DAY ($200 BILLION per year!) handed over to OPEC, many of whose members are our confirmed enemies!!!!! It won't stop here - oil prices could go to $200 a barrel or higher if we keep buying their product.

Here are some large companies that do not import Middle Eastern oil:
Sunoco.............................0 barrels
Conoco........................... 0 barrels
0ASinclair........................ 0 barrels
BP / Phillips.................. 0 barrels
Hess................................ 0 barrels
ARC0...............................0 barrels
Maverick.........................0 barrels
Flying J......................... 0 barrels
Valero............................ 0 barrels
Murphy Oil USA*......... 0 barrels

*Sold at Wal-Mart <http://www.walmart.com/> , gas is from South Arkansas and fully USA owned and produced.
*Not only that but they give scholarships to all children in their town who finish high school and are legal US citizens..

All of this information is available from the U.S. Department of Energy and each company is required to state where they get their oil and how much they are importing.

But to have a real impact, we need to reach literally millions of gas buyers with the help of the internet, it's really simple to do. Now, don't wimp out at this point..... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

If each of you send it to at only ten more (30 x 10 = 300).... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000).... and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers!!!!!!!

If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE - the entire population of the United States of America !!!!

Again, all you have to do is forward this message. How long would that really take you? If each of us sends this e-mail out to ten more people, within one day all 300 MILLION people could theoretically be contacted during the next eight days

Solar Bat Sunglasses www.solarbat.com
HCBF www.hcbass.com
Lew's www.lews.com
poorboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2010, 11:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

kevin thats exactly what I was going to say, you saved me alot of time with my slow typing. Thanks for the info Poorboy thats good info!!!! I've always used AM/PM Arco/BP in all my vehicles for almost 20 years and i've never had a problem.

www.powellco.com
www.CocoonsEyewear.com
Saulsbury Earthmovers
basslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the California Bass Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in