» Site Navigation
» Home
»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Forum Search
» Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2010, 11:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Delta Fishing HELP....?!?!?!?!?!?!

I am from southern california and I fish man made reservoirs and lakes. But I have a brother that lives in sacramento.

Every time I go up to visit him is the ONLY CHANCE I get to fish a shallow water fishery that is the DELTA.

I have only started to fish the delta, 3-4 times and I gotta say I FELL IN LOVE with it! The scenery, the people, the fishing, its ALL THERE. Very good vibes and times.

BUT......Some questions I hope you guys can help me on to improve my success on the delta......

1) Do certain areas/locations in the delta harbor BIGGER Largemouth bass?

I go to the east delta by honker cut marine and paradise point mostly and the times I have been there, I have only caught dinks, LESS THAN A POUND !!! Of which leads me to.....

2) Is the Largemouth bass fishing BETTER the more west I go into the delta?

3) Does the salinity and tidal differences have something to do with that?

4) Did the largemouth bass fishing get worse over the years due to more salt water coming in and not enough fresh water?

5) Are certain lures more productive in certain areas of the delta? If so, what are some hot lures/techniques for Largemouth bass in the east delta?

Sorry for a long post and hope you guys can help me out.

Thanks.
dinklimit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2010, 01:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
ash

Default Re: Delta Fishing HELP....?!?!?!?!?!?!

Dinkster,

I launch a lot from Paradis Point and that area whites and dissapointment slough does harbor big fish and bigger fish. One really doesnt see salinity changes from Big Break East and North, but that may have changed.

I am also from SoCal and LOVE The delta my first Delta Bass was a DD and I have since cought three DD fish and have neted a nice 15.77 this year

The first thing I think a lot of visitors to this pond do is fish too shallow, and at times too fast, you are so excited to see tulles and actually flip that is all one wants to do. The big fish here on the river are like big fish in any pond, meaning they want deep water within a tails kick away. So flats or points that have adjacent deepwater are higher percentage spots for your big fish. So the first thing I would say is your fishing too shallow Cooch and Rich Thiel have some excellent articles on fishing the delta that can give you a kick start.

This year the Delta has been hard to pattern, as the weather has been bouncin around all year.

The next time you are up this way post on here or higher a Delta guide like Cooch, Thiel, Pringle or Barrack a one time paid guide trip may be enough to open your eyes as to how these fish setup.

Give a post before the next time you are up this way or PM me and I will try to help.
ash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2010, 01:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

What Ash has told you is very true. I would have to agree with those areas and just wish I weighed in early enough to see his team weigh that 15.77!!! !!!

Another thing you might consider is determine which baits you are using and trying to get your fish on. Even though my biggest limit (and fish) this year came on the dropshot (7.83), I usually try to go for the quality using the following baits/techniques (spring/summer/fall)...Buzzbaits, Frogs, Wake Baits, Jigs and Punching. Generally speaking, these have a better chance of getting the quality fish although you will not necessarily get nearly as much action as say a senko.

The deeper vs shallow is also very true most of the time. Hitting the shore in 1-3 feet of water will get many more bites and active fish but generally they are the fish in the 1-4 lb class. Most (but certainly not all) of my bigger fish has been on the outside edges of weeds, dropoffs, islands, etc. Again, this is only my observation and for some reason this year most of my bigger fish have come shallow...

Hope this helps. I'll hit the water a few hours tomorrow and hope there is something going on out there!

Todd
Big Bear Fishing Rods - www.bigbearfishingrods.com
Team - www.geemoto.com
Samuraiti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2010, 03:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

Jigs are hot right now. The natural Darker colors are working well with bigger trailers.. ..I might have said to much already they are watching!!! , The big break area holds bigger fish as does Franks. Franks is tough right now but the bigger fish just seem to be there. Windy days on Franks are better due to the water clarity.
texas john is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2010, 04:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hire a good instructional guide like Randy Pringle or Dee Thomas (if Dee still guides). Save you years of time trying to learn tidel water.
Tom
oldschool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2010, 04:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Try fishing the fed events as a non-boater next season . I did it for one tournament a few years back and had a great time. I will be fishing them next year and I will have room in my truck for one more guy .
Hardcore Bass Fishing
bassman10.66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2010, 06:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
GB

You were given some very good advise from all the above. In my experience of 20 plus years on the Delta during the summer months I like to concentrate on points with current and weed beds on them and a key is having deep water adjacent to flats where they can move up and feed and then go back to the deep water.
Early morning is a great time for buzz baits over the points.
The tide is going to play a great role in what bait you use and what time you fish an area.
The areas you mentioned are great big fish areas.
Good luck

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Two Locations to Serve You
Russo's Marina & Oakley, CA 
(925) 625-2441
GB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2010, 10:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman10.66
Try fishing the fed events as a non-boater next season . I did it for one tournament a few years back and had a great time. I will be fishing them next year and I will have room in my truck for one more guy .
Thats probably the best suggestion,it is a great format with some really good sticks.
http://www.stcroixrods.com/
http://shop.peregrine250.com/
http://www.jigssnakebitebaits.com
http://MonsterFishingTackle.com
flippenfool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2010, 12:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
ash

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas john
Jigs are hot right now. The natural Darker colors are working well with bigger trailers.. ..I might have said to much already they are watching!!! , The big break area holds bigger fish as does Franks. Franks is tough right now but the bigger fish just seem to be there. Windy days on Franks are better due to the water clarity.
MODS please nuke this post, it is only OBVIOUS that John is soley promoting his sponsors of Pepper jigs and D$M There is no validity to his claims, everyone should continue to crank, fish senkos, and Punch.....

thank you
ash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2010, 12:40 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for mentioning some of my favorite Delta baits!!! The fact is punching is good right now if you find the right water, with the weather being as screwy as it has been who knows. But always remember on the Delta, have a bad day today, fish the same water tomorrow for a 30 lb bag!!! At least it seems that had been working for some folks....

Oh and no mention of a 15lb frog???Whats up with that??
texas john is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the California Bass Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in