» Site Navigation
» Home
»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Forum Search
» Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2010, 08:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Rough water

What has been the worst conditions you've been in while out fishing?

Mine was San Luis Reservoir 1978. Calm during the morning, then 35-45 mph wind suddenly kicked up causing 5-10' swells! What a ride back to Dinosaur Point!!!!!!
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2010, 09:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Rough water

Columbia river every time the wind blew . All I can say is WOW . I have spent some time on Mead and the river is like fishing in a typhoon . Once we had to park the boat and bum a ride to get the trailer. We were in a 20 ft Lund walleye boat.
Hardcore Bass Fishing
bassman10.66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2010, 11:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
AC

Last year I was fishing out of state and county park on clear lake with my kickboat. the wind picked up and within a few minutes I was spearing waves in a 9 foot inflatable pontoon. I knew I was in trouble when dudes in 21 foot bass boats were heading for the county park ramp as fast as they could . My buddy was using a trolling motor that day and ran out of juice. He also didnt bring his oars he got stuck in the tule's and almost went under, the only thing that saved him is the fact that he cut the trolling motor loose as it was caught on a log and pulling his boat down. It was a rough day out there with about 4 foot rollers but it felt like they were 12 feet when you are that close to the water.... Oh and if anyone needs a minnkota there is probably one still located in the tules between state and county park
www.histackleboxshop.com/
www.costadelmar.com
www.catchemcarobaits.com/
www.therodglove.com
Even the worst day on the lake is better then the best day at work...
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2010, 01:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Greg Cornish

I came through the narrows one time and my boat lifted completely off the water and set back down a half mile away. The wind blew so hard all the soil blew away from the gopher holes and they stuck up in the air 6 inches and we had to go around and chop them all off with hatchets.

Top THAT!

Greg Cornish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2010, 07:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

Shasta Lake Jan. 1964 in a 12ft aluminum boat we hauled around in the back of my old 1949 Chevy pickup truck, with a old 7.5 hp sears Ted Williams engine, trolling for trout, it was raining, we were catching nice fish to 5 lbs. The wind cam up with gusts to 60 mph. The wind blew so hard, the waves were 6 footers, we were at Slaughterhouse Island and it blew us clear back to the dam, the old engine would not keep up with the wind. It was the time before when they had no rope, cable barriers or buoys in front of the dam back then. We were sure the wind was going to blow us over the spillway. It was raining so hard and the wind was blowing so hard, we were getting so close to the dam; when all of a sudden a funnel cloud apeared, picked up our boat and us, lifted us up out of the water and dropped us right at centimudi launch ramp, close enough to bail out of the boat, grap a buoy rope and pull ourselves to shore. The boat and engine crashed against the rocks and went down like one, with all our gear and fish. Probably still there ? True story ?
Top that!
Old 09-17-2010, 12:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Greg Cornish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIGS
Shasta Lake Jan. 1964 in a 12ft aluminum boat we hauled around in the back of my old 1949 Chevy pickup truck, with a old 7.5 hp sears Ted Williams engine, trolling for trout, it was raining, we were catching nice fish to 5 lbs. The wind cam up with gusts to 60 mph. The wind blew so hard, the waves were 6 footers, we were at Slaughterhouse Island and it blew us clear back to the dam, the old engine would not keep up with the wind. It was the time before when they had no rope, cable barriers or buoys in front of the dam back then. We were sure the wind was going to blow us over the spillway. It was raining so hard and the wind was blowing so hard, we were getting so close to the dam; when all of a sudden a funnel cloud apeared, picked up our boat and us, lifted us up out of the water and dropped us right at centimudi launch ramp, close enough to bail out of the boat, grap a buoy rope and pull ourselves to shore. The boat and engine crashed against the rocks and went down like one, with all our gear and fish. Probably still there ? True story ?
Top that!
I give, you win.

Greg Cornish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2010, 12:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

San Luis Res. 4 fters. in a 200 ZX Skeeter. Not fun! The wind can kick up quick there and you better head for dry ground. I guess thats why they have the red warning light.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

1964 the bering sea, the boat 441 foot radar picket ship, wind gusts up to 105 knots, 35to 40 foot waves and swells. we steamed full speed ahead into the wind for 10 hours, we ended up 7 miles back from when the storm hit

Mike Matthews

U.S.N. 1963-1969

U.S.S. picket A.G.R.-7

U.S.N.  1963-1969
Mr gambler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2010, 06:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

**** Mike, Who can compete with the Bering Sea? I know I don't have the sea legs for that. I would be in the fetal position somewhere below deck blowing chunks.

Gotta love our Vets.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

HBC 1 at Lake Casitas. Dead calm for the first 20 mins then DUMPED rain all day long...wind blew 30-45mph with gusts to 60. Fishing any main lake spots were 3-5fters. You could not cast a swimbait into that wind nor hold a spot. Talking about a way to start off the HBC circuit!

15.25# Lake Casitas 2001
14.25# Lake Casitas 2009
13.50# Lake Casitas 2003
13.50# Lake Casitas 2005
12.50# Lake Piru 2003
elfish16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the California Bass Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in