» Site Navigation
» Home
»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Forum Search
» Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2012, 09:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Talon or Power Pole

O K guys, without bashing one another, I would like to hear pros and cons on which one you have/like and why. I cashed in my rewards points and am looking for opinions, please be honest about the good and bad, if you find a fault with what you have I would like to know.
Thanks in advance, Spike
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2012, 09:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Talon or Power Pole

I have the power poles. The reason I bought the power pole is becouse of our deep and steep banks. I can pole out and down away from the boat without the out drive hitting the bank. Talon straight down. I liked the hydrolics vs electric. water and electric panels dont mix. Since I installed them I find the power poles with the larger frame in the water works nicely as a wind sock on a slow drift. Besides, they look cool
Ron T. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2012, 02:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hey Spike
Adman (Bill) here, glad to hear you're still fishing and buying. Things must have picked up! Give me a call some time and tell me about all those big fish you're catching up there.
adman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2012, 02:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
FOH

im torn. I run dual power poles. I have had the hydraulic hoes rupture 7 different times. Sometimes on the water, sometimes towing down the road, sometimes just sitting in the shop. I have also had the remote control relay go out and the entire power pole system has shorted out a few times. On tour many guys were rupturing hoses and power pole saw it a big enough problem they sent a trailer and a service guy to every flw tour event as well as the elite tournaments.

i love my power poles and use them a lot. I almost switched to talons but i really like my foot switch which is installed up front.

i have a friend who runs 2 talons. he has had a few problems with them as well.

the other downside to the power poles is the systems take up a lot of room. 2 pumps in the battery compartment. and when the hoses rupture let me tell you. it's a dam mess!
FOH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2012, 06:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

FOH, do you have the wave compensators installed on your power poles ?
Old 01-18-2012, 11:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the info thus far, hope to hear more. My boat doesn't have alot of room in rear compartment and I have to agree I don't like the idea of oil spills, have a friend up here that has a power pole and will be checking out space req'd for system, hopefully more reports will come in by the time I make a decision, thanks to you guys so far, Adman I will call and bug you soon!
Old 01-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Judging by your user name Im guessing you have a champion. So do I . The space was a little tight and had to scoot the batteries a little closer together but worked out nicely . I can send you a picture of my installation if your intrested. The reason I was asking FOH if he had the wave compansatores is Im thinking that those might solve the issue of oil lines breaking. I have them and never had a problem. I think they absorbe the line breaking pressure. The oil is actually hydrolic fluid. Like break fluid and power steering fluid its water soluable. Not a big deal to wash down if you had to. The installation is pretty easy. Took me longer to make the room for pumps than to do the installation.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have heard of 2 downsides to the talon. 1. boat won't fit in the garage if thats where you store it and also problems going under bridges in high water.
drdetroit3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the California Bass Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in