» Site Navigation
» Home
»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Forum Search
» Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2009, 03:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default any tips on color/presentation

okay a little history about me and bass fishing so you know where i'm coming from. i first got into bass fishing in about april of '08. i was going to a local lake (mojave narrows) in the early spring for trout and i saw a few people catching bass which got me interested. i had no clue what i was doing but i knew a very small amount about it from just reading tidbits here and there. i knew what a texas rig was and i knew about color selection but i had no clue how to select what color. i first got addicted when i cast out a white double tail grub with no weight and started bringing it into shore(i have no boat so bank fishing is all i do). the two tails were fluttering the top of the water with the tip of the nose barely sticking out. it was almost in when WHAM a bass struck it. but with me just starting i jerked back right away and lost it. then i did the exact same procedure one more time and again, WHAM it hits it and i waited a couple seconds and yanked back and landed it. a 1.5lb bass (someone nearby had a travel scale) for my first largemouth and i was addicted. ever since then ive been going to mojave narrows and now i go to silverwood lake more often. i've caught about 5 largemouths all 2lbs or less but ive gone around 50 times so most of the time i'm getting skunked. i know its because of my color selection and presentation. when i first went in to look for baits, i was overwhelmed with all of the colors, sizes, different types of baits, scents, hooks...everything. so i went back to the internet to try to search for specifics but a lot of people are saying the region you're in will depend on what bait you buy. i didn't find much in the way of socal bait selection so i went with what i thought would be good. i quit in december after the huge storm came through and dumped 2-6 feet of snow in the mountains (silverwood had roughly 2-3 feet). i went back a few days ago right at the turn of the new year just to see what was there and because i had nothing to do and saw a bunch of baitfish along the shores. i cast out a minnow and twitch into the shore and caught a few baby largemouths (all under 9in). i saw a few rainbow trout trolling the shores as well. silverwood lake generally has clear water and right now it is very clear, and it was clear nearly all summer. i caught most of my fish from shore in summer within 5 feet of water so i don't fully believe that the largemouths tuck themselves in deep water in the summer like a lot of the online tipsters say. my questions are, since it's winter, what baits should i use? what colors should i use? and how should i present it? i know that fishing slows in the winter but in some coves in silverwood, the water is actually warmer than the rest of the lake (i guess because they are pretty protected) and i think thats what attracted those smaller largemouths in and what may attract bigger ones. also since it is winter i wont be going out as much to try for them. would anybody be able to give me any tips/tricks on the previous questions pertaining to wintertime and also springtime? especially since in socal, winter is pretty short and spring is not that far off. any tips for this region would be useful since everything i've learned was reading something online and going out to try it. most of the time failing but on rare occassions, succeeding.
lilskruff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2009, 03:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: any tips on color/presentation

When they won't eat it, try something else.
Robert F is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2009, 04:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

for the clearer water try more natural colors like your watermelons and brown colors the bass at the wood do go deep the fishing has been tough lately but to catch the bigger fish i would try a 1/2 oz brown jig with a craw or pork trailer fish it really really slow in the winter and wait for that pressure bite
Ryan C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2009, 08:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

you can never go wrong with green pumpkin color, it works everywhere as far as baits go zoom trick worm on a shakie head, yamamoto hula grub on a football head, all in green pumpkin will catch bass at any body of water
J-Lure jigs
Hard Core Bass Fishing Apparel
stickman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2009, 09:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan C
for the clearer water try more natural colors like your watermelons and brown colors the bass at the wood do go deep the fishing has been tough lately but to catch the bigger fish i would try a 1/2 oz brown jig with a craw or pork trailer fish it really really slow in the winter and wait for that pressure bite
should the trailer be the same color as the jig or should i mix and match a little bit? like a brown jig with watermelon trailer? and i havent caught anything on a jig yet. how exactly would i go about presenting it? i know throwing it in the water and waiting for it to sink. then after that should i wait like 10-15 seconds and do two or three light pulls then wait for a while then repeat? or should the pause be longer like around 30 seconds? plus i bought some scent, im assuming that can be used in any season?
Old 01-04-2009, 09:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
you can never go wrong with green pumpkin color, it works everywhere as far as baits go zoom trick worm on a shakie head, yamamoto hula grub on a football head, all in green pumpkin will catch bass at any body of water
how long should the worms be for this time of year? thats also another problem i know im having. i know i'm not selecting the right size but its hard to try to cover all different types of lures within the times fish are biting better.

i'm definatly going to try a brown jig and buy brown trailers and watermelon trailers and also the zoom worm. im a little skiddish on anything football head seeing as though alot of silverwood is sand with weeds. i know of a few spots that have a lot of rocks though so i think i'll try to football head in those areas.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

3/8oz, or 1/2oz brown jig with purple pork is hard to beat, or brown jig brown pork
J-Lure jigs
Hard Core Bass Fishing Apparel
stickman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2009, 12:15 AM   #8 (permalink)

here is what i would use...

dropshot 4" and 6" worms like these
http://www.outdoorproshop.com/Robowo...chstraight.htm
http://www.outdoorproshop.com/Robowo...aight-tail.htm
colors - oxblood red flake, aarons magic, hologram shad
use 6-8lb line and a 3/16oz or less clip-on dropshot weight

instead of a jig, texas rig one of these and it wont cost you so much money if you break it off dragging it uphill
http://www.outdoorproshop.com/produc...o-hulagrub.htm
colors - cinnamon black flake, cinnamon purple flake, watermelon blk/red flake
use 8-10lb line and a 1/4oz or less bullet weight

this will get you by with 1 or 2 rods and a small backpack or tacklebox, travel light when bank fishing. good luck
Old 01-05-2009, 04:02 AM   #9 (permalink)

i usually match up the trailer color with the jig or something close to it, at the wood i would try the point by the boat launch is good for a jig and the point by the marina- swim beach is one of my favorite places on that lake cast the jig out let it sink to the bottom and drag it in really slow the slower the better this time of year each cast should take 5-10 mins maybe longer if u are really patient, only down side is with a jig from shore is your gonna get snagged alot but dont get discouraged that means u are fishing the good structure spots from shore id recommend those bass patrol jigs they are cheap so u can afford to lose them and they are good jigs good luck.
Ryan C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2009, 09:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

thanks all three of you for the advice. i'm going to buy some of everything you guys suggested haha. i'm going to try it out either later this week or early next week.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the California Bass Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in