» Site Navigation
» Home
»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Forum Search
» Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2010, 11:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 4/17 Casitas ( LONG )

I warned ya...

First out... last in.... long day of fishing. I have decided to keep fishing and see what's around every corner. I pulled into a smaller cove first light and tossed swimbaits all over the major points leading in..Nothing. Proceed into the cove only to get cut off by a husband and bundled up wife. No problem I just caught fish in front and behind them all on dropshot. I did see a very nice fish but I saw her to late so I marked the spot mentally and continued. I pulled about 20 fish in the morning all on dropshot worms in browns and greens. I have to say that I switched over to a tungsten weight and I just plain catch'em when I have some tungsten tied on. Spinnerbait/dropshot/spoon/whatever ...tungsten gets me bit. Wandered through the wadeligh area and watched the carp totally F up.. the shallows.Er ..I mean The carp were in a spawning mode so I used a #4/0 treble flylined the hook across 3 20 pounders that made it to the boat where I quick released them with the whack of my emergency paddle... Went over to the submerged island and back to bass fishing I caught a few there...I worked the north side of the island towards the bathroom catching fish at the leading edges of the coves and the back 1/3 of the coves....Nothing huge...I run into two women kayaking along with a 9-10 year old boy who has just watched me catch two fish as I came upon them. Since the boy asked for a little advice I had them pull along side and I got the 9 year old into the game...

First off it always pains me to see how little effort dad has spent teaching a kid but then hey! maybe dad has the big job and it's not his area of expertise... but obviously he doesn't know how to fish or even look it up on a computer Cuz' just look what he sent junior and the wife off to catch a fish with. When I look down and see a snap swivel tied on with a hook clipped on it and splitshot 6 inches above that on 25 pound test....Okay hang on lets get ya set up...I tie on some 10 pound flouro leader give him a spare hook and sinker and 5 plastic worms ( he can use dads night crawlers later when he's out of my plastic worms ). The weight wouldn't take the coil out of the line so I dug up some bubba dropshots and turned him and mom loose on the next point. I showed them what I thought was important in locating the fish (wood) and how to work the worm after the cast (shake but don't move the bait ) ...3 casts and the boy hooks and lands a 2 1/2 pounder without any assistance.....They take pictures and release the fish...Thanked me profusely and paddle off. I go in order lunch shoot the breeze with a couple of guys and go back out for the second half of the day. Water temps to 68 ...First cast after lunch gets me a largemouth about 3 pounds. Nothing on the second cast...Third cast... thump...I'm on...Get the hard fight'n fish up and..... wholly s it's a smallmouth.. ...Brown with black hints with red eyes. I fire up the livewells and drive her in to the Marina. Carry her and a brazillian gallons of water up to the scales...2 1/4 pounds. I run back down and put her in the livewell. Mom and son are back from the island and are returning their kayaks and show me a picture of the boys second fish...close to 4 pounds...The kid is now gut hooked ...He'll be fish'n the Classic in 12 years

I released the smallie exactly where I found her and continued my dropshot foray. The evening bite is better for size. I went through three bags of worms in the afternoon but no fish much over 4 pounds and only two of them. I'd personally stay away from any thrashing carp. No fish to be had where they are thrashing about. I wonder if the bite will be the same after this weather...Prolly be right where I left them.

Rip

I went back three times and fished for that larger fish...Nope but I did get one of my four pounders there...
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2010, 01:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: 4/17 Casitas ( LONG )

Way to help the little guy out Rip

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the California Bass Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in