The BUZZZ - FLW National Guard Delta - Days 1, 2, and 3 - California Bass Fishing Forum
» Site Navigation
» Home
»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Forum Search
» Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2009, 11:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default The BUZZZ - FLW National Guard Delta - Days 1, 2, and 3

FLW National Guard Delta - Days 1, 2, and 3

The Delta was a tough tournament for me. Tournament days went the same as my pre-fishing days... Not too good! I did have very good draws, though.

Day 1 - It was an honor to fish with the champion, Neil Russell. He is a fellow Northwesterner. We fished hard with Neil throwing nothing but reaction baits for the first 3-1/2 hours. I tried to back it up with plastics - throwing a Senko, drop shot, and jig. I was hoping between the 2 of us we could get something dialed in. I had to laugh about the difference in the mindset of a pro and a co-angler. Im looking for 5 keeper bites, while Neil is looking for 5 big bites. An example being-- I have a 4 fluke tied on, while Neil has a Magnum super fluke. I have a 4 worm to dropshot and hes dropshotting a 7 worm. Even our reaction rods are mismatched accordingly.
I ended up with 3 keepers for the day - with 4.05 pounds. Neil came in with 4 keepers with 8.06 pounds.

Day 2 - I drew my best friend, mentor and practice partner for the last 12 years -- the legend himself, Mike Folkestad. We both knew what to expect since we pre-fished together. We knew it would be tough and our early weigh-in time at 2:00 made it even harder. I wont go into detail except Mike had 7 keeper bites and I had 5 shorts. That is also pretty much how 4 days of pre-fishing went. So, nothing new there. Although, I will say Mike had a great comeback on day 3, coming in with 17.5 pounds.

Day 3 - I had my good friend from Japan, Shinya Uesasa and we were happy to be paired together. Shinya spent most of the day punching. While he was doing that, I fished on the outside throwing my assortment of plastics. I did manage to catch a 4 pounder on a Senko, 1 keeper on a drop shot, and another 12 bass on the Senko. For the 3 fish I brought to the scales, I weighed in 5.15 pounds.

Needless to say, the tournament was a heartbreaker. This was the first time that I can remember NOT bringing home a check on the Delta.

I fell back 2 places to 23rd place in the points. That means I have my work cut out for me at Clear Lake to finish in the top 20 so I can make it to the Forrest Wood Cup next year.

Fish on,

Chris
Al-E-Baby
[b]
Big Bite Baits
[b]
[b] Canyon Plastics [b]
[b] Bayou Tackle Company [b]
[b][url=http://www.dmcustombaits.com/] D & M Custom Baits
Chris Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2010, 03:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: The BUZZZ - FLW National Guard Delta - Days 1, 2, and 3

We try to as imformative and helpful as possible to enable all of us to catch more bass. The reason I don't go into to much detail About Mike is because he posts in detail what we do on the water at his website www.mikefolkestad.net
Al-E-Baby
[b]
Big Bite Baits
[b]
[b] Canyon Plastics [b]
Old 04-27-2010, 05:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hey Chris Mike's link is incorrect in your post....

http://www.mikefolkestad.net/

Thanks for providing these blogs - they are great
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2010, 05:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks stock option,spelled his name wrong DUH!!!!!
Al-E-Baby
[b]
Big Bite Baits
[b]
[b] Canyon Plastics [b]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the California Bass Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in