» Site Navigation
» Home
»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Forum Search
» Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2010, 03:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default The BUZZZ - WON BASS CALIFORNIA DELTA

2010 WON Bass Pro Am Delta

I always enjoy fishing the Pro Ams. It’s a nice break from fishing the FLW where you have to catch your own fish off the back of the boat. In the Pro Am you can work together as a team, therefore alleviating a lot of stress. You are also allowed to share information. With that in mind, I arrived at the Delta 1 week before my practice partner, the Great Mike Folkestad. This was in hopes to find some water to share if my Pro was in trouble. I spent a total of 15 days and only managed 7 bass. It did not look like I was going to be much help.

The draw was very good to me because on Day 1, I drew Mark Crutcher. Crutcher is an awesome stick – known for big baits and big bites. He took me to a slough I hadn’t fished in years and that slough obtained warm water. With that warm water, there were bass. We fished hard all day, but I must say every bass we weighed in was due to Crutcher’s expertise. I ended up in 12th place.

My Day two draw was Bill O’Shinn. When we met at 6:00 a.m. he said, “Chris, I blanked yesterday, I have no water, I’m open to any suggestions, I’ll go anywhere you want to go because you are still in contention.” We got the map out and I suggested we fish these 2 banks that were outside of the slough where Crutcher was fishing. We worked our way down the first bank about ½ mile, and I felt the bump. I thought I hit a piece of wood and the next thing I knew, I saw my line swimming under the boat. I set the hook and we had our 1st fish in the boat, just under 4 pounds. 20 yards further down the bank, my Pro Bill sticks a fish and we put fish #2 in the boat – approximately the same size as the 1st one. After another hour of no bites, I suggested we move and fish the other bank. Within a few minutes, I felt the old familiar tick and set the hook and put fish #3 in the boat. A little further up the bank, my Pro sets the hook and his reel started pulling drag. We know it’s a big one. My Pro worked the fish to the boat and as I’m about to net it, it jumped and spits the hook. It was hard to see a 5 pounder swim away.

Bill was bummin’ – I said “relax, the fish are biting, we’ll get another.” After awhile with no bites, we went back to our first bank and went directly to the sweet spot where we caught the first 2 bass. My Pro hooks up and we put another bass in the livewell. With less than an hour to go, we decided to go back to the bank where we lost the 5 pounder and I quickly put 3 nice 3 pounders in the boat. We were culling and headed back to weigh in. Our 5 bass totaled 16.68 ounces. I ended up in 7th place and took home a check.

All of the fish on Day 1 and Day 2 were caught drop shotting a 6” Roboworm and a 5” and 6” Proworm. We tried Senkos, lizards, jigs, Carolina rig, chatter bait, but the fish only responded to the dropshot worm.

The fish in the morning when the tide was up were tight to the Rip-rap and were caught in the buffer zone between the Rip-rap and the back edge of the grass beds. As the day wore on and the tide dropped, the fish moved out onto the grass and eventually out in front of the grass in about 6-8 feet of water where they were easy pickins.

I want to thank Bill O'Shinn for being such a gentleman and being open to suggestions.

P.S. And, Crutcher knows how to fish a worm.

Fish on,

Chris
Al-E-Baby
[b]
Big Bite Baits
[b]
[b] Canyon Plastics [b]
[b] Bayou Tackle Company [b]
[b][url=http://www.dmcustombaits.com/] D & M Custom Baits
Chris Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2010, 10:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: The BUZZZ - WON BASS CALIFORNIA DELTA

Congrats M&M you did an awesome job!
Tami Curtis Jennings is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2010, 10:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
GB

Nice report Chris, Congrats!

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Two Locations to Serve You
Russo's Marina & Oakley, CA 
(925) 625-2441
GB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2010, 10:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to derbingel

Good report Chris!

Mark is definitely a great stick to hook up with.

Ganns Performance Tackle - You're gonna need a bigger net!
derbingel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2010, 11:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

Way to go Chris!!! It was great to see you up at the Delta. I look forward to seeing the crew again up at Havasu. I will call you later this week and give you my prefishing dates for Havasu.

Snapper...
little luck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2010, 08:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Good to see you too. congrats on 2nd. place. Keep me posted, see ya at Havasu.
Al-E-Baby
[b]
Big Bite Baits
[b]
[b] Canyon Plastics [b]
[b] Bayou Tackle Company [b]
[b][url=http://www.dmcustombaits.com/] D & M Custom Baits
Chris Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the California Bass Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in