» Site Navigation
» Home
»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Forum Search
» Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2010, 01:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Expectations of a fishing trip....11/26/10

Here is a few helpfull thoughts and ideas to make your next fishing trip live up to your expectations!

It happens to us all the night before a trip to the lake, we anticipate the trip to the point where we can hardly sleep the night before. If you follow these tips you will have a better time on the water and in the process learn a few things.

First off plan ahead. Do your research on your chosen fishing spot. Use places like Calbassin to ask for help when headed to a new body of water or check out the reports on places your more familiar with. By doing this your adding yourself into an already established network of anglers who are usually more than willing to help out. Some will share a lot some a little but even the smallest bits of information can prove to be invaluable. Once you have done your research try to make realistic goals for your trip. Just because your going to Clearlake does not guarantee your going to catch a ten pounder, heck it does not mean your even going to get bit. Setting a realistic goal will not leave you as dissappointed at the end of a bad day. I recall my first trip to Clearlake and all I thought was how great it was going to be fishing there and could hardly sleep the night before, thinking where was I going to hang the mount of the ten pounder I was going to catch. At the end of the day I had caught 3 fish, the biggest being about 3 lbs., I was happy with the results but wanted to be more prepared for the next time so maybe I could find that DD fish.
The next thing you can do is get to the lake early and hit a local bait shop. Most of the guys who work in the shops are anglers and though they might not tell you where to go exactly, they will give you and idea as to where to begin and what has been working. These guys talk to tons of people coming and going so they know what is producing. I used to laugh when a buddy would ask, telling him dock talk will just screw up his plans for the day. But then one day out we took some advise and ended up seeing the guy from the shop fishing the same bait he recomended and in the same type of areas he pointed us to. So dont be affraid to ask for some help from the locals its their home town lake and they know it best.
Last but certainly not least is be prepared. Dont get to the lake and realize you need gas but are out of oil or any other "simple" thing that can be over looked. Make sure you have everything your going to need for the day. There are some list out there that can help you along the way. I personally have a back pack I take out on every trip, It has a few things in it that never get taken out like extra batteries, rain gear, flash light, water and a hand held GPS unit. It is better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.
I will leave you with one final thought...If your invited out fish by someone ALWAYS offer to help out with some of the cost of the trip, in some cases your money will be no good but the offer is always appreciated.
texas john is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the California Bass Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in