What reels and size line to use under different conditions? - California Bass Fishing Forum
» Site Navigation
» Home
»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Forum Search
» Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2012, 12:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default What reels and size line to use under different conditions?

Hi mike, I was on calbassin and saw I could ask you a question. And after a few days searching and not being able to find an answer that I feel answers my question who better to ask. I'm looking at buying a reel. (I'll only buy daiwa) that's what my dad fishes with and we never have any problems. But my main question is what lb test I should run for bass. A good average for all types of Rigs because I cannot afford multiple reels or rods. And how many yards should I have? I was looking at getting a used daiwa TD-Z. But it only hold 10lb-100. I don't feel 100 yards is enough if I land a high teens bass that I'll have to work in to the boat. Thank you for any advice you may have and maybe one day I'll be at those tournaments fishing next to you.

Thanks for the question Sean.

Spinning: I personally use a 2000 and 2500 Fuego reel the average lb test I use is 6 lb Seaguar Vis X . Sometimes I go down to 4 lb test in ultra-clear water with very little cover and at times that can make a big difference. I also use 8 and 10 lb test on lakes with off-colored water and heavier cover with a large population of bass in the 5 to 12 lb range such as Clear Lake, CA for example.

Baitcaster: I use a Steez, T3 and a Zillion. The average size line is 12 lb test Seaguar VisX. I can go as low as 6 lb test and as high as 20 lb test visx. Line size once again depends on water clarity, structure I am fishing, and the size of the largemouth bass in the body of water I'm fishing. If I am using an ultra light lure, normally I would use 6-8 lb test. If I am using a 3/8 oz to 5/8 oz lure, I would normally use 10-12 lb test. If I am using a 3/4 to 1oz lure, I would usually use 15-20 lb test. If I am fishing surface baits such as a Zara Spook, Bobby Barracks frog, Klicka Shad or Manahl's RX Rio Rico chugger, or any type of buzz bait, or any type of walking bait, I always use Daiwa Samurai braid in 55 lb test on my Daiwa bait casting reel.

Line yardage: All my reels, I always put backing line on to fill the spool up part way. The backing line will stay on my reel all the time. Then I will tie on the line that I want to use on the reel and it will always have about 75 yards on it, and that is plenty. By using the backing line, it will save you a lot of money.

I've caught approximately 160 bass over 10 lbs and several 15 lbers, three 16 lb bass, and my largest is 17.22 lbs which I caught at Clear Lake. If you use the proper rod for the lure that you are throwing and set your drag according to line size so the drag will slip before the line breaks this will tire out any size bass that you catch. I have never had a bass regardless of size take more than 40 feet of line on a run. So 75 yards is plenty of line. Therefore you can keep fresh line on your reel and you will save money at the same because you won't have to spool up your whole reel with expensive line since you will have backing line on there.

Check out the website TCsportsREPORT.com, MikeFolkestad.net, and watch Tami Curtis's TV show coming up (Fish'n 4 FUN!). These all have excellent information and tips.

If you have anymore questions don't hesitate to ask. Can't wait to have you fishing next to me...but take it easy on me.

Mike Folkestad
mike folkestad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the California Bass Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in