Chart Speed effects on Side Imaging and Down Imaging - California Bass Fishing Forum
» Site Navigation
» Home
»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Forum Search
» Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2011, 02:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Chart Speed effects on Side Imaging and Down Imaging

Here are some examples of the effects of not adjusting the Chart Speed to match the boat speed and how it can distort the data.

Chart Speed matching Boat Speed...see the details?

Now the Chart Speed increased and loss of resolution and stretching of data...

Same thing happens with Down Imaging...

Too Fast...

Still a little fast...

Just Right...

Now Switchfire 2D Sonar...

Matched to boat Speed...

Too Fast... (elongates returns)

Adjusting your Chart Speed will help you get your images just like the images are naturally positioned under the water. To fast will stretch the images and too slow will shrink the data. Using the Chart Speed function is probably the Most Important element in creating picture perfect images. I try to match or drop a 1 number below chart speed for higher resolution images if you want to stretch them a little to see more separation of details adjust 1 or 2 numbers above boat speed but don't crank it up it will make the images lose alot of the resolution to the images.

Sponsored by these fine companies: Skeeter Boats, Yamaha Outboards, MinnKota Motors & Chargers, Humminbird Electronics, Dobyn's Rods, LakeMaster Charts, Transducer Shield and Saver, LuckyCraft Lures, Daiwa Reels, Dave's Custom Baits, OMEGA Custom Tackle, BullShad Swimbaits, Elite Tungsten, Angler Innovations, Massey Ferguson Farm Equipment.

Learn more about Side Imaging: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/si
DougV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2011, 11:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Chart Speed effects on Side Imaging and Down Imaging

So, Are you saying if you run the boat say 4mph setting will be about 5?
Old 09-21-2011, 11:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

I recommend starting with matching the boat speed to Chart speed to keep the aspect ratio natural. Idle 4mph set chart speed to to 4.

Sponsored by these fine companies: Skeeter Boats, Yamaha Outboards, MinnKota Motors & Chargers, Humminbird Electronics, Dobyn's Rods, LakeMaster Charts, Transducer Shield and Saver, LuckyCraft Lures, Daiwa Reels, Dave's Custom Baits, OMEGA Custom Tackle, BullShad Swimbaits, Elite Tungsten, Angler Innovations, Massey Ferguson Farm Equipment.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2011, 08:46 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

Doug,
I have the 997 from six+ years ago.
Once I get on plane, I lose my conventional sonar signal, but my side imaging still reads fine.
Is there something I can do to get the sonar to work at higher speed, too?
Mark
mark poulson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2012, 01:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Are you running just the SI Transducer or you running an additional transducer with Y Cable?

If single transducer you need to adjust to get clear water flow. If SI Works on plane then you probably need to raise transducer. Can you post a picture of the Transducer install?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the California Bass Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in