thinking about buying a HDS 10 and have questions - California Bass Fishing Forum
» Site Navigation
» Home
»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Forum Search
» Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2012, 10:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default thinking about buying a HDS 10 and have questions

im looking to get a HDS 10 with insight
first question is, is it worth it, versus a HDS 8. i can get one at a pretty good price but its still a lot of money.
second question is, can you hook up 2 transducers ? i have a motor guide TR109L with the lowrance transducer build in, can i split the screen with each tranducer ?
third question is, where is everyone putting it ? at the wheel or up front ? i already have a 987 at the wheel
fourth question is, did they make the GEN 2's more water proof ? i know the gen 1's had problems

thanks for the help
tritontr21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2012, 11:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: thinking about buying a HDS 10 and have questions

The difference between the HDS 8 & 10 is the size of the screen. Everything else is the same. You need to ask yourself the question "Is the price difference worth 2 more inches of screen?" It's all personal preference and bank account.

Only one transducer can be hooked up to an HDS unit. So you can choose to use the built in ducer or strap on the one that comes with the unit.

Placement again is personal preference. Is it more important to see what you are driving over or fishing over. If driving then put it at the console, if fishing put it up front. Beware that wherever you put it you will soon be getting another.

Lowrance gets alot of their parts and pieces to assemble their units from third party companies. The first run of the Gen 1 HDS units were assembled with faulty screen seals and this problem was fixed right away and later runs of the Gen 1's had no problem and there are no problems with the Gen 2's at all.
http://www.dobynsrods.com/
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/
Ken Sauret is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 11:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: thinking about buying a HDS 10 and have questions

I have a gen 1 HDS10 ...never had a problem with the screen seal. I have my transducers mounted both aft and on the trolling motor with lss1 in both locations also. I can move the one unit from back to front as quickly as I can type this sentence . So why buy two units?????..2 inches is a serious amount of detail and because I split up my screen it helps out this poor old mans eyes. I don't think the transducer in the trolling motor thing works for myself and I will never again keep them in the same housing. I did it once but was lucky enough to sell that off to someone who didn't have a clue what the boat was all about much less the electronics on board. ....to much electrical bs clutter for the transducer to try and see through when under power. Lots of clutter when your on the pedal none when your off...try to correct for it with the unit and you lose sensitivity. If your not buying structure scan then an HDS 8 would be plenty big...My .02$

Rip

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the California Bass Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in