Jon Mahoney-Monsterís Up-n-Comer
1. Whatís your name and how many years have you been fishing?
Jon Mahoney, I have been fishing 8 years but serious fishing on all my days off about 5 years now.
2. What is your boat and tow rig?
2009 Ranger Z520 towed behind a 2010 F150 Crew Cab.
3. What is your biggest fish, both fun fishing and in a tournament?
I have four 9's between 9.75 and 9.90 still waiting on the double digit bite. My largest tournament bass was a 7.68
4. Where did you catch them?
Clear lake and the tournament bass was the delta.
5. What kind of fisherman would you consider yourself?
Trolling motor on high covering a ton of water and making as many casts as I can.
6. Do you have any sponsors?
Outdoor Pro Shop/Monster fishing TackleÖThe Elies just moved to a larger location in Cotati (outdoor pro shop) it is absolutely huge with the biggest bass selection that I have ever seen in a shop. If you've never been there stop by and check it out. If you canít make it to the shop check out their website (MonsterFishingTackle.net).
7. What is the one bait/rod n reel set-up you want in your hand at most times?
Powell Endurance 795 with a Diawa Zillion and an S-Waver.
8. What is your dream day on the water, time of year, weather conditions, body of water and the bait you want in your hand at that moment?
March Clear Lake wind rain with a bag over 35# on a Hudd.
9. When youíre not on the water what do you do with yourself?
When Iím not on the water fishing I am usually working overtime at the Sonoma County jail so I can pay for my fishing addiction. Before I took up this sport I was trying to make it with the golf scene. I played on the Pepsi tour and all of the NCGA tournaments. I have quite a few wins back in my golf day. I played as a scratch golfer when I was 18 years old and made it to a +1 handicap at my peak. I just couldnít get over the last hurdle to make it on the big tour.
10. Are you married or living the single life?
Not married but I got a girl that likes to go out on the lake with me so I canít complain.
11. What body of water is your nemesis and why do you struggle there?
Delta for sure just haven't been out there enough to figure it out.
12. If you could magically change one thing about your fishing what would it be and why?
To become a better finesse fisherman, the drop shot wins tournaments.
13. How many years tournament fishing?
About 3 years now.
14. What circuits do you fish?
I took this year off, last year I fished the Anglers Choice Clear Lake with another tournament here and there. I just wish I was off work on Wednesdays to fish the best tournament around the Wednesday night shootouts on Clear Lake.
15. How many wins or top 5's do you have, have you ever won Angler of the Year.
I have 10 or so top 5's no wins. Never been angler of the year.
16. Do you have any pre-tournament rituals or music?
I have no rituals and am in the process of putting a system in my boat so I can have some beats on the water.
17. What is wrong with the California Tournament scene right now and is there a fix?
I have never run a tournament so I have no input at all.
18. Over the past few years there has been a ton of lower level tournaments (WRL BBT FPT). How do you think these series have effected the tournament scene if at all and do you feel the lower numbers in the higher level tournaments (ABA WON Bass AC) has more to do with the economy or these lower level tournaments?
The new circuits are drawing a ton of boats thats for sure. I believe that with the lower tournament entries and the high numbers of boats its the best way to go. The $300 dollar all in tournaments get expensive when it costs 100 in gas to drive to the lake 200 to fill the boat and there only drawing 10 boats.
19. What was the first thing that got you hooked into bass fishing?
My brother brought me to a little pond by my house. I caught my first bass there on a Rapala Countdown and that was where it all started. Scott Green was a huge influence for me I used to go to the outdoor pro shop daily and pick his brain.
20. What keeps you motivated during the tough times?
I just keep my head down and fish. I try not to get spun out and rifle through all my tackle. I used to play golf on the Pepsi tour which taught me a ton of patience.
21. Who are your inspirations in fishing?
Watching Butch Brown on you tube he is unreal.
22. Of the tournament anglers out there who do you look at as someone you would aspire to be like?
Thatís a hard one there are way too many to single out one name.
23. Is there anybody you would like to thank or give a shout out to?
Scott Green for sure he has helped me out so much.